DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

I have this weird sore/bruised pain on the top of my left

Customer Question

Hi, I have this weird sore/bruised pain on the top of my left hand between the thumb and index finger. I haven't had anything fallen on it or done anything strenuous. Wondering what it is. It's been feeling like this for about a week.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Putting ice or heat helps alleviate the pain but only temporary. I work on the computer, so it hurts when I type and then when I try to massage it, it feels bruised.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: History of ezcema, maternal grandfather had skin cancer, no other known family history
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 2 months ago.

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Expert:  DrRussMd replied 2 months ago.

Of course we do not diagnose on line and accurate diagnoses requires and exam.

But, given the history this is most likely tendon irritation. Tendonitis, or tendon strain.

Exam is needed by an orthopedist preferably.

Other possibilities

Arthritis

Bone inflammation from some cause [unlikely]

Ligament strain in the joints [not so likely].

The standard medical procedure until seeing a doctor would be ice, then heat, ibuprofen and resting the hand.

OK, let me know if you have further questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.