Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

I have pain in right index finger that comes and goes. The

Customer Question

Hi I have pain in right index finger that comes and goes. The pain is sharp and kind of feels like a cut or a needles type sensation. Have not had any injury
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: No particular action improves it. However a bit of therapy seems to alleviate the pain for some time. Also feels
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Feels like a sharp cut kind of feeling
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh- and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Do you work on computer for long hours?

What is your profession?

Have you noticed swelling in right hand?

Age and Gender?

Waiting for your reply…

Thanks

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.

Dear,

Thanks for staying Online. I am posting answer below-

Well, it sounds like you may have a nerve compression.

When a nerve is compressed, initially there will be the sensation of burning secondary to the release of inflammatory cytokines. This compression can happen because of a couple of reasons.

You may unknowingly hit the finger on something at night or may have had the joint compressed while sleeping.

Another reason can be secondary to a neuroma, a sort of a tumor that can be compressing a branch of the median nerve that innervates the index finger.

Other things that can do it are cysts.

Such symptoms can come due to compression of nerves in carpal tunnel in the wrist. Also one may experience tingling sensation or numbness in right arm as the symptom of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Your doctor may suggest, Electromyography test, It can check how median nerve is being compressed and the effect it is having on your symptoms.

The line of treatment is-

1. Wrist splint. It has to be worn at night to support the wrist and keep it in the same position.
2. The use of Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug such as ibuprofen, also helps in relief from the symptoms. You can start with OTC Motrin 400ng twice a day.
3. Physical therapy will also be helpful. It includes- Short wave diathermy, Infra red, Wax therapy.
4. Also the use of Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), is very helpful.
5. In case, symptoms doesn't improve then Corticosteroids can be prescribed. Sometimes, anti-depressant drugs are even prescribed to get rid of symptoms.
6. You should avoid over exposure to cold temperature.

Please follow above measures, and consult your doctor for further evaluation.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 2 months ago.

May i help you further?

Do you need more help?

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh