Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I started with a migrain thursday last week. since then i

Customer Question
have basically continued with the...
i started with a migrain thursday last week. since then i have basically continued with the migrain, occassionaly going down to a dull roar in my head. i have taken everything the chemist has advised but i still can't shake it off. headache is always in my left frontal lobe and behind my eye. i also have a small calcified tumour in left lobe. can you help. i have had scans and mri's but nothing has shown up. barbra
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: have a small anaeurism in my right frontal lobe. have neck fusion taking place, scoleosis of the spine, have L3, L4, L5 and S1 badly injured over the years which places me in bed a lot, but these i can put up with, i just can't take a headache day in and day out. i am very pain tolerent, have had tp be, but some things do reduce me to tears.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Neurology
7/25/2017
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 3 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear you are having a very bad and persistent migraine attack. As a neurologist I very frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

It sounds like you have tried several treatments but without any relief so far

The persistence of the migraine symptoms indicates you are having a status migrainosus attack – which is a very severe form of migraine and the symptoms could last for several days and this condition does not respond to the usual migraine treatments

One of the best treatments to control this type of severe form of migraine is using a steroid preparation. Have you tried any steroid preparation so far?

Kindly reply

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, I had earlier posted some information above, and also inquired whether you had used any steroid preparation to get relief from this disabling and persistent migraine attack. It is possible you are encountering some technical glitches to access this site properly or you may be not in a position to reply, so what I will do is post an initial answer here based on the amount of information I have received through your initial question here, please go through it when your time permits & when you can, and please get back to me if you want to discuss this further.

As mentioned earlier above it appears you are unfortunately suffering from status migrainosus which is the most severe and most disabling form of migraine

And as mentioned earlier above steroid is considered as the best treatment to relieve the headache due to status migrainosus

If you have not already tried steroid preparation then you may consider starting at asap now

This comes in various strengths (oral tablets), the usual starting dose is about 40 mg per day, this dose is usually maintained for about 3 to 5 days then the dose is tapered off over the next few days and then it is stopped

Oral steroid as mentioned above is most likely going to help you, if unfortunately it also does not help then there are many more treatment options as mentioned below here;

Nasal spray preparations of Triptan group agents

Nasal spray preparation of Ergotamine group of agents

Injection (under the skin) preparations of Triptan or Ergotamine preparations (these are injection forms but can be self-injected at home)

One of the above mentioned treatments is expected to help, but if unfortunately none of the above help then at that point it is better to visit the nearest ER or even consider getting admitted to a nearby hospital so that you can receive injection forms of treatments (intravenous or intramuscular injections) along with supportive care, nutrition, IV fluids etc

The following medications can be tried at the ER or hospital to terminate this type of severe forms of migraine attacks;

Solumedrol (Methyl Prednisolone)

Magnesium

Dihydro ergotamine

Ketorolac

Depacon

Prochlorperazine

Haloperidol

Butorphanol

Demerol

Morphine

Propofol

Lidocaine etc

I am not telling all these above mentioned treatments are required in your case; I am trying to provide a list of the various treatment options like this so that you are familiar with various treatment options that are available for your condition and you may try to use them as necessary. If you see any of the above treatments you have already tried please disregard them and you may explore the treatment options which you may have not yet tried.

And another important point is – if you have been experiencing frequent migraine attacks then you also require a preventive agent which can prevent future migraine attacks, and there are several options in this regard including butterbur, amitriptyline, topiramate, sodium valproate or divaloproex sodium, beta blockers, calcium channel blockers, botox injection, and there are many non-medication treatment options too including Trigeminal nerve Neurostimulation with Cefaly (which a medical devise) etc

Please see this type of very severe form of migraine attack can be treated successfully, so please not to lose hopes, please try the above recommendations, and if you have already tried all the above treatment options then please follow up with me and I can go over some more treatment options to help you in getting relief from this extremely severe and disabling form of migraine attack.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Wishing & reassuring you a quick & complete recovery! And also wishing you the best health!

Assuring you the best services!

All the very best!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

And also I want to reassure you, this headache is unlikely secondary to the brain aneurysm you are having, also it is unlikely secondary to any tumor too - so please not to be scared in this regard.

Hi, how is the headache now? Are you feeling any better?

Have you received the answer I have posted above, and have you had a chance to go through the above answer?

Do you have any additional questions? Do you want to discuss this further? Please let me know and I am available here.

And please do not forget to kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. And the rating will not incur any separate charges to you.

The rating area (stars) is supposed to be at the top part of the question, if you do not see the rating area you may scroll the page up or down to see it, or try to refresh the page. If you are still not able to see the rating area (stars), or encountering any other technical glitches please let me know and I can bring it to the notice of the company so that they can try to fix this technical glitch. Alternatively you may also just type in your rating in a response to this note, and the customer service will apply the rating for you.

If you have any additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Thanks & Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)