Christopher Palmer
Christopher Palmer,
Experience:  Hospitalist Physcian (Internist) at Kent County Hospital
91318447

I have pins and needles in both feet for a year. Now I get

Customer Question

I have pins and needles in both feet for a year. Now I get it mostly first thing in the morning as I wake up. The sensation goes away one I move around. I get some pins and needles thru out the day. I also have pain in my hip front of my thighs and both knees I have slight pain in my back. I know I have a annular tear on L5 S1 and degenerative disc. Can this actually be the cause of all my discomfort? Can it occur on both sides ? Im Fatigue but i believe it's because of what I'm feeling I'm constantly worried something is really wrong because I'm always feeling discomfort.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Christopher Palmer replied 2 months ago.

Hello I'm Dr Palmer. Do you have diabetes? Pins and needles usually is a nerve problem. Sometimes anxiety can poor thyroid function or vitamin defiencies/alcohol can do this but so can back injuries. But if it has not progressed, then it is probably nothing to worry about. Also medications like Gabapentin or Lyrica can help with those symptoms. It can occur on both sides. It would be the cause of your discomfort, but as long as you can urinate okay, no numbness on the inner thighs, no stool incontinence then nothing to worry about as far at the spinal cord goes.

The fact that the sensation improves with activity, this may be the back. Perhaps some physical therapy, or yoga can help with this problem. I hope I was able to help. Let me know if you have further questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi, I'm a healthy 41 year old with high cholesterol. no diabetes, been tested for thyroid and b12 both normal. normal. Also had Emg all good. Alcohol I'm a social drinker few drinks with dinner. I'm urinating fine. I was under a lot of stress last year when my symptoms started to occur and ever since I been so in tune with any pain in my body. I'm In distress because I don't have a proper diagnosis...

I would cut out the alcohol for at least a week and see what happens. Also, anxiety at night can cause this. But if it gets better with movement during the day, and has not progressed during the year, then it may be coming from your back, but typically you would get shooting pain. I do not think it is anything to worry about. The alcohol is a very common cause though.