Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology
41363181

Can Myasthenia Gravis (MG) reoccur after Thymectomy?

No, a Myasthenia Gravis (MG) crisis will not occur after thymectomy surgery. A thymectomy is the surgical removal of the thymus gland. The thymus has been demonstrated to play a role in the development of MG. It is removed in an effort to improve the weakness caused by MG, and to remove a thymoma if present.

Read full interaction below »

Question

Can a Myasthenia Gravis crisis reoccur after Thymectomy surgery? I am have follow up neuro appointment but not until October and I have seen the surgeon for follow up but I don't seem to get a straight answer to the question and given that an ambulance is 40 minutes at least away from where we live, I worry.

I am on Pantoprazole and Pyridostigmine. Prior to diagnosis of MG testing was extensive.

Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

Hello! I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

No, a Myasthenia Gravis crisis will not occur after Thymectomy surgery. A Thymectomy is the surgical removal of the thymus gland. The thymus has been demonstrated to play a role in the development of MG. It is removed in an effort to improve the weakness caused by MG, and to remove a thymoma if present.

Thank you for using JustAnswer!