Dr. Scott, Doctor
Experience:  Physician
96592888

Don't know if you're the right kind of doctor for this or

Customer Question

Don't know if you're the right kind of doctor for this or WHO is the right kind of doctor (please feel free to point me to where I ought to go if this section isn't right. Here's the history/issue: about 10 years ago, I got so dehydrated that my body started tingling all over, and I lost my ability to speak properly, and I think my heart started having some issues, and I hyperventilated horribly, breathing about as fast as one can breath and not feeling like I was catching my breath. Managed to get an IV, and that was good. After a few hours, felt fine, and went on my way. Fast forward a handful of years, I did a 72-hour fast (no food or water) at the end of the fast, my heart was having PVCs regularly (didn't realize any problems until right there at the end of the 72 hours). Fast forward a couple of years to the last few years.. I don't know if the previous experiences are related at all to what I'm experiencing now, but my body seems like it's gotten extremely sensitive to dehydration and short-term malnutrition (missing a meal or two). I'll start to get a headache. I won't be able to think very well. I might get slap happy. It'll be harder for me to physically speak, and I might even slur some words here and there, etc. I think there's also a heightened awareness of my heartbeats (or maybe they actually change when I'm in that condition). What normally gets me back to good is drinking a 32 oz pedialyte. Eating a handful of strips of string cheese, and maybe a few bananas. If I had to guess, I'd say that my electrolyte levels are really squirrely, that perhaps my body wastes potassium. I used to be able to fast without issues, go without a meal or two or three here and there and have no issues, but no I have issues. Any ideas what the issue is? What should be done here to get a proper diagnosis? I've had blood sugar tested when I'm feeling this way, and it's been fine. Thx!
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

I would recommend getting screened with routine blood work first to check your electrolytes, blood counts, kidney function, and liver function. You can also be screened for metabolic and endocrine diseases such as thyroid disease.

It does not seem like you have one specific symptom that can be pinned down to help with a diagnosis.