Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I have a condition called Idiopathic Intracranial

Customer Question

I have a condition called Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension and my neurologist seems to not know what to do other than give Acetazolamide (Diamox) and Topiramate (Topamax). I was only given a single lumbar puncture, a single MRI, and a single CT scan. My doctor wont seem to listen to what actually works for me which is marijuana when my head gets bad. Is there something I can do to get my doctors to help me other than being given more narcotics that dont work for me at all?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  vakularen replied 3 months ago.

If the pressure is serious enough,you can request him to consider implanting a shunt( ventriculo-peritoneal shunt) which will take away the excess fluid to some other part of the body like the abdomen.Such shunts are used in Hydrocephalus.High dose short course of oral steroids may help reduce the pressure,oral frusemide may be tried if Diamox does not appear to be helping.Surgical intervention such s shunts would be the last resort.