How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 1985
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a condition called Idiopathic Intracranial

Customer Question

I have a condition called Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension and my neurologist seems to not know what to do other than give Acetazolamide (Diamox) and Topiramate (Topamax). I was only given a single lumbar puncture, a single MRI, and a single CT scan. My doctor wont seem to listen to what actually works for me which is marijuana when my head gets bad. Is there something I can do to get my doctors to help me other than being given more narcotics that dont work for me at all?
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  vakularen replied 3 months ago.

If the pressure is serious enough,you can request him to consider implanting a shunt( ventriculo-peritoneal shunt) which will take away the excess fluid to some other part of the body like the abdomen.Such shunts are used in Hydrocephalus.High dose short course of oral steroids may help reduce the pressure,oral frusemide may be tried if Diamox does not appear to be helping.Surgical intervention such s shunts would be the last resort.