drphophalia
drphophalia, Other
Experience:  Regularly deal with musculoskeletal neurology, spinal issues, bowel and bladder dysfunctions etc.
5625079

We are trying to figure out if my daughter back is broke or

Customer Question

We are trying to figure out if my daughter back is broke or something with a vertebrae. She can't tolerate the MRI machine yet and have been doing physical therapy trying to get the back spasms down. This weekend though her legs have begin to swell like the size of her thighs. Not sure if this is considered an emergency.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: Absolutely nothing makes it better. She is doing the ibuprofen laying flat makes it a little tolerable. Standing sitting moving makes her miserable.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: She broke her l5/l4 3 years ago this is lower s1l1l5. Great athlete but thinks she did it lifting weights
Category: Neurology
Expert:  drphophalia replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

What is her age?

What did her x-ray show?

Apart from back spasms, what are her symptoms?

Since when are her symptoms?

Any over weight issues?

Were any investigations for her legs swelling done?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
17 healthy. X-ray showed nothing but they didn't the time before systems More numbness and extreme pain.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No weight issues no investigations on legs done.

Have you discussed a CT scan instead of MRI with your doctor?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We meet with him again on Tuesday am. I just didn't know with the swelling increases if she needed to be seen sooner

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in a few minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

With the swelling in calves significant (as it has grown up to the size of the thigh); you should go to emergency room. In a young, severe back pain and swelling in the calves should be investigated for;

1) Psoas abscess.

2) Retroperitoneal mass or inflammation

She needs an ultrasound and CT scan as soon as possible.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Hope your daughter is doing good.

What did the CT scan show?

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.