Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

I've been dealing with what I've thought is sleep paralysis.

Customer Question

Hey, so I've been dealing with what I've thought is sleep paralysis. I have had it for several years now. It first started out that I would only be paralyzed it seemed for just seconds, but as time grows it seems that the time I stay paralyzed is longer. Usually when I have a episode of this, I typically do not see "demons" or "someone peering over me" like others expierence. I'm just alone, I can sometimes force my eyes open, but they close back immediately, I can sometimes moan, but it takes all my strength, and I'm just basically laying there helpless and feeling like I'm suffocating. It typically seems to take all my effort just to keep breathing. Many people say that anothers touch or the loud sound of something can jar you awake, but this is not the case for me. I've had people shaking me and did not wake up until minutes after. I hear everything around me but nothing awakes me, not even a loud noise like a glass jar breaking. I typically arise confused, tachycardic, and hyperventilating, which I'm sure are normal for this. Is there anything I can do for my episodes, and does this seem like a normal sleep paralysis situation to you, or does it seem more neurological and something else may be the matter? Thanks for the help!
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: It's been awhile since I've had my eyes checked, but my vision has not changed as far as I'm aware.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have psoriasis. No-one in my family has ever had sleep paralysis. Psoriasis is my only medical history I have as far as I'm aware.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 5 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 32 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry you are suffering from a form of Catatonia. This is something that needs to be evaluated by a Neurologist. This is treatable! Please schedule an appointment, there are several associated causes:

Kahlbaum syndrome (motionless catatonia), malignant catatonia (neuroleptic malignant syndrome, toxic serotonin syndrome). It has also been recognized as grafted on to autism spectrum disorders.

I hope this is helpful.

Any additional thoughts?

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 5 months ago.

Questions?

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, so I am compensated for my service, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 5 months ago.

How are you feeling?