Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Spine surgeon
Experience:  MBBS, MS
4931939

Bob. A radiology report says my left knee has

Customer Question

Hello Dr. Bob. A radiology report says my left knee has "tricompartmental degenerative changes, which are submitted with narrowing of the medial compartment." My right knee has the identical finding, except the word "associated" is used in place of the word "submitted." The diagnosis for both knees is "degenerative changes." What does this mean in lay terms and do the words "submitted" and associated mean the same thing? Thank you. Mark
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 5 months ago.
Dear *****, I am Dr.Sawhney an orthopedic surgeon and I would be happy to help you today. If you wish I can explain these findings in detail to you. Let me know with a yes if you would like to proceed.

As I have not received a reply from your side, I am posting the answer to your question.

You can reply back for any clarification.

Both the words " submitted" and "associated " have the same meaning.

A knee has three compartments namely, patellofemoral compartment which is the joint between the lower part of the thigh bone and the knee cap, medial compartment which is the inner of the joint between the thigh bone and leg bone and lateral compartment which is the outer half of the joint between thigh bone and the leg bone.

Both your knees have developed degenerative changes in all the three compartments named above.

Several changes occur in knee joint degeneration, including loss of cartilage which is the protective layer between the bone forming the joint,decrease in quantity and quality of the lubricating fluid of the joint, changes in alignment of the joint due to loss of cartilage which can be and is often uneven between the outer and inner sides of the joint between thigh and leg bone.

These changes cause the joint to become painful and stiff often making walking difficult and painful.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions.

Do take a moment to honor my work and time by rating my answer, hopefully, 5 stars.

You can continue the conversation even after you have rated.