Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

My daughter is almost 16, early March she had a fever of 102

Customer Question
when flu was going around...
My daughter is almost 16, early March she had a fever of 102 when flu was going around, she walked into my room to lay in my bed and shook and fell to my bed passing out, small seizue in coherent for maybe less than 1 minute, I took her to ER where they did chest xray and test for flu which was negative. They didn't run blood work told me not to worry sometimes happens with high fever she had a "flu-like" virus of some sort and it would run its course. It lasted 3-5 days and she felt better didn't want to go to doctor so I let it go. I noticed she would on occassion stop sit down say she felt wierd; sometime catch her in the bathroom where she sat on floor because it was cooler made her feel better? I made appointment to get her into a general doctor not pediatrian but as new patient there was a wait. In the interim she once again said everything was fine. Latest episode she was at school and during lunch felt hot/cold as she explains it floating outside her body like she would pass out and she got up to got to nurse where she once again had small pass out panic type attack. Given her doctor appoint wasnt' until 6/7 I took her to urgent care. I also explained she has easy time bruising; sometimes complains of neck stiffness; back pain and headaches; again doesn't sleep well thought maybe anemia thryoid issue? Urgent care did EKG normal, ran blood work which said not amenic her thyroid was fine, but showed high red blood cell (5.8); high hemoglobin somewhere in 16 range and hemocrit 52 (was asked if she drank water that day; she had 24 oz of water and a gaterade); so after seeing the General Doctor today he listened to all the details didn't seem too concerned about blood work will be re-testing in 4 weeks said her blood is too thick and something about testing if she has a gene? I read about Polycthemia Vera and that doesnot sound like nothing? He seemed more concern with her seeing a Nuero doctor as he asked more questions with headaches and the fact she gets them after the episodes and feels unbalanced, dizzi often, wants her to have EEG - in meanwhile put her on Buspar anxiety medicine to see if in fact she just has axniety and is the underlying reason - doesnot explain thick blood? At this point I'm thoroughly confused?? Not sure what he is looking for or not looking for and I had a nervous daughter in the room so couldn't really ask questions
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: She gets headaches when she has these anxiety type episodes and afterward they are worse she says; sometimes wakes up and has hard time sleeping because of headaches;
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, she wears glasses, we get her vision checked yearly due in July; ma
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Neurology
5/10/2017
Neurologist: Dr. David, Board Certified MD replied 6 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry about your daughter

children as old as your daughter can still have febrile seizures when running temperatures up to 102 degrees.

if she has bad anxiety symptoms, she may need to go on anti-anxiety medications to help.

I'm glad her fevers are better at this point.

I am not worried about her blood testing as well.

she doesn't have polycythemia vera with her levels.

why do you think she has thick blood?

The doctor said her levels are thick blood
Typing is fone
What is jak2

mutations in the JAK2 gene are associated with polycythemia vera, a disorder characterized by uncontrolled blood cell production. The V617F mutation is found in approximately 96 percent of people with polycythemia vera

JAK2 gene mutations result in the production of an activated JAK2 protein, which seems to improve the survival of the cell and increase production of blood cells. With so many extra cells in the bloodstream, abnormal blood clots are more likely to form. In addition, the thicker blood flows more slowly throughout the body, which prevents organs from receiving enough oxygen. Many of the signs and symptoms of polycythemia vera are related to a lack of oxygen in body tissues.

she should see a hematology doctor about her Polycythemia vera

there are treatments for her blood to slow down her body's production of blood cells which can help her.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you may have to scroll down to see the ratings area in blue

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

what is the connection of high Rex blood cell count high heomoflobin and hich hemocrot along with her aniety hot cool dizziness blurred boss idiom passing out spells and feeling unbalanced with severe headache pain sftereard

her anxiety symptoms most likely are not related.

but her polycythemia vera could be causing her dizziness and blurred vision and passing out spells and feeling imbalanced and headaches.

her anxiety symptoms could get better once her polycythemia vera is better treated and her blood counts come down

What is EEG going to test find

EEG is a brain wave study used for patients who have had seizures.

if she is having an active seizure, EEG brain wave studies can confirm the seizure activity.

her doctors are doing this as routine since she had a seizure before.

How do u know for certain if you have polcthemiavera

she would need a bone marrow biopsy performed by a hematology doctor to check for too much production of red and white blood cells and too much platelet production in the bone marrow.

but she probably already has blood tests which show that her platelet and red and white blood cell counts are all too high which is a sign of polycythemia vera.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Based on the limited information I've told you what do you think are the right steps to take to narrow out possible causes of medical issues and what you feel most likely she has that is causing the High red blood cells fatigue hot cold sweat floating feeling unbalanced and passing out with headache pain and sleepless nights

yes, it sounds like her doctors are on the right steps

they are testing her for Polycythemia vera and doing genetic JAK2 tests

they are doing EEG to check on her seizures.

I bet once her polycythemia is treated her symptoms will all improve.

It seems odd he will waif 4 weeks to do next blood result test unless he wants to see if the anxiety medicine is the true underlying issue but why would the mat cause hrb cout?

what do you mean by mat?

Dr. David, Board Certified MD