The Physician
The Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Versatile Emergency Physician, 20 years experience as a Physician.
37289694

I have had for over 30 yrs lower back pain, hip pain, leg

Customer Question

I have had for over 30 yrs lower back pain, hip pain, leg pain that has a tingling sensation and pins and needles in my foot and weakness in the leg. I had a MRI done just a few weeks ago and my results came back as L4-5 small diffuse posterior disc bulge in combination with moderate bilateral facet arthrosis and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy results in very mild spinal canal narrowing. L5-S1 diffuse posterior disc bulge. Moderate to severe bilateral facet arthrosis. Patent spinal canal and neural foramina. My neurologist says that everything is normal but I still have no use of my leg. I tried to ask questions but got no answer. I don't understand my MRI results and I'm having all this pain and sever weakness in my leg
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: I was in an abusive relationship over 30 yrs ago. He kicked me on my left hip so hard that I couldn't walk and had to go to the ER. Over the yrs ,my leg kept getting worse
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
Category: Neurology
Expert:  The Physician replied 4 months ago.

Hello

Welcome to JA

I am an ER physician and a physician cumulatively of more than 25 years

I will answer your questions as it relates to your MRI which speaks objectively about the symptoms that you express. However before that let me enlighten you that the muscles that control the legs, and the feeling of pain, sensation, warm/cold and position of the whole lower legs is transmitted to the brain through nerves (wires) travelling into the Lumbar and Sacral vertebrae (labelles L or S0 by the MRI

Like wires, each nerve has smaller wires inside, and hence any damage to even one of the smaller wires affect the quality of information it carries (relate to telephone and power cords)

So from you MRI. L5-S1 shows that the disc is bulging, hence it means there is some form of disruption to the intergrity of that joint hence the lower back pain, Same as L4 L5

From a neurology cum Neurosurgical perspective IN AS MUCH as you have obvious pathologies, which might cause pain and by impinging on some fibers of the nerve going in and out of the joints. The patent spinal and neural foramina ​has put it BELOW the threshold that ANY doctor would be CONCERNED about you now as per severity

Therefore your diagnosis based on your symptoms and MRI will be RADICULOPATHY, however, there is NO indication AT this time to warrant any invasive intervention except for pain relief and Physical rehabilitation