Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans
22950887

The doctors think I may have fibromyalgia. I am having some

Customer Question

The doctors think I may have fibromyalgia. I am having some neck pain and the right side feels like it is swollen and hard is that normal with fibromyalgia?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now in fibromyalgia, there are various criteria which need to be fulfilled in order diagnose it which include all other causes for this sort of pain to be ruled out, persistence of the issue for more than 3 months and a certain widespread pain index (WPI) score. Now coming to your question, the simple answer here is that YES in fibromyalgia you can have symptoms like stiff muscles and also mild swelling as well. This can also lead to neck pain. Now that being said it is important to rule out other causes for this pain, including cervical spine issues which can cause stiffness, pain and swelling in the region. It is possible that you have a spasm of the neck muscles which is unrelated to the fibromyalgia as well. these usually occur because of dehydration or even electrolyte imbalances. This would be easily corrected with the help of simple increased intake of plain water and electrolyte rich fluids. Also i would recommend getting a MRI of the cervical spine done if it has not been done previously. But to simply answer your question, YES fibromyalgia can cause these sort of symptoms as well.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I had a cervical spine MRI done back in January and they didn't see anything. I have done all the testing to rule out other things and fibromyalgia is what they are saying now that it is nothing else. How would I know if its fibromyalgia or not?

FIbromyalgia is a CLINICAL diagnosis, which means if all the clinical criteria are fulfilled then you would be labelled as a case of fibromyagia. There is NO test which can confirm or rule out the condition, it is a PURELY clinical diagnosis. The widespread pain index score and the symptom severity scale are greater than 7 and 5 respectively. The diagnosis is based on certain questions asked by your doctor during your examination and if your answers fulfill that criteria, then the diagnosis is made. Since all other things have been ruled out in your case and the symptoms have been present since JAN, then only the WPI and SSS scores have to be fulfilled. Here is the diagnostic criteria used by us doctors,

Diagnostic Criteria

Do you have any more questions?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i guess I am asking how would I know if this specific neck swelling is fibromyalgia or not?

Via a simple clinical examination, or if symptoms resolve after using simple fluids etc then it is more likely to be due to a spasm unrelated to the fibromyalgia and more related to electrolyte imbalances of dehydration. Secondly neck issues due to fibromyalgia respond to drugs like SSRIs o anxiolytics whereas neck spasms dont respond to SSRI drugs. So basically the difference would be determined on the basis of an examination and a clinical history. But at home, you cant determine what it can be for sure without doing clinical tests on the area, which cant be done by yourself.

Do you have any more questions?