Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

Do you work with the VA net work or Triwest, Severe flatback

Customer Question

Do you work with the VA net work or Triwest
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Severe flatback syndrone mutiple surguries on lower back in 1988, 1989, 1991, and 2012. Oxybutynin cloride 5mg at bed time. Tizanidine hcl 4mg 2x..day.Duloxetine 60mg 1 at bed time.Hyrochlorothiazide 50mg 1/2 tab a day.Pregabalin 100mg cap 2xday.Omeprazole 20mg 20mg 2aday.Hydroxyzole hcl 25mg 2xadaySertraline hcl 50mg 1/2 tab aday.Clonidine hcl 0.1mg a bed time.Metformine hcl 500mg 2 x aday.Meloxicam 15mg 1 aday.Morphine so4 60mg 2 x aday.Oxycontine 30mg 2 x aday. Opiod medications before mandated cut backs was morphine 100mg 4 x aday. Oxycontine 30mg 2-30mg 4 x aday. VA doctor Martha Fachete has been cutting back so far over a 3 month streach. At this point i am no more mobal due to flatback from Herrington implants put in 1991
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: VA neurosurgeon Dr Charles Maulucci(###) ###-####(504(###) ###-####came up with flatback syndrone. Suggested surgury by breaking back ,realigin and cage from neck to tailbone. 20 %chance of a good outcome. Back then i was controling pain with medications very well to were i had a normal life with a pain level of 3 to 5. Now i am in severe cronic pain of 10+ day in and day out with no life worth of living. I have 3 diffrent psyc. Been on pain management for past 20 or so years. Been through many injections, pain pump that failed, stimulators, presently in water theropy
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: I had everything from back when i was injured inroute to Vietnam, injuries during Vietnam, 1988 conctruction accident when i was run over by a backhoe prompting the first surgury, a lamonectome, blew out with in weeks, second surgury was placing plates, i forget the name of them, but a screw went into the indro sac were the nerves are causing constint pain. They had me loose 60lb before they would repair problem. 6 months later the plates came out and the Herrington rods went in. Worked good for a long time until scar tissues from previous surguries started the pain all over again. 4th surgury was to repair the tissue problem and found numerous bone spurs that they repaired. Work great and went home the next day pain free for the first in many, many years of suffering back pain, but eventually scar tissues, thining disc, arthritus, to this point that no one is willing to help a 64yr old man. I am talking in the VA net work in a timely manor. The more opiod medication taken away the more horrable the cronic pain.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you are in such pain.

it doesn't sound like your spine surgery helped you

have you tried an implanted spinal stimulator to help decrease pain?

have you tried smoking medical marijuana? that could help decrease your pain

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dr ***** *****e attempted with the device specialist tried, and tried to place the wire through the spine but the area they wanted was bone on bone, tried from above and under with same problem. They though they hit close enough and taped it to my bach to secure from movement. First step up into my truck, my left leg moved when i was wanting the right leg to step up and i went to the ground. I reached around and jerked it out and called Dr Clarke
As far as smoking, never have and never will

you are passing up something which could help decrease your pain with medical marijuana.

your payment for the phone consultation fee didn't go through