drphophalia
drphophalia, Other
Experience:  Regularly deal with musculoskeletal neurology, spinal issues, bowel and bladder dysfunctions etc.
5625079

I have had a burning headache sometimes back of head

Customer Question

I have had a burning headache sometimes back of head sometimes one side of head. Have osteoarthritis in neck Diagnosed (no mris) with TMJ. I don't think that is the prolem. I wonder if it could be occipital neuralgia and if so how to test for that, and how to treat it. I have a small ulcer and have been ordered to take only Tylenol for pain,no Ibuprofen
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: No nausea - the headaches are pretty much round the clock. I had lower back surgery 15 years ago. When I sit for more than 30 minutes, all the places lin lmy head that hurt start to hurt. Sometimes it happens without any cause, I wake up in the middle of the night with my head hurting almost unbearably. It is a burning pain, not a throbbing pain. I never have headaches, just very seldom. I am 88 years old in three weeks. I don't like to complain. I live alone and this is interfering with the things I have to do to remain independent
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have stents in my heart from a mild heart attack also about 15 years ago. surgery on one shoulder three years ago due to ruptured rotator cuff.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  drphophalia replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

I am writing you the answer. It may take 5 minutes.

The diagnosis of occipital neuralgia is done by:

1. Manifestations; pain, with or without persistent aching in the distribution of the greater, lesser, and/or third occipital nerve

2. Tenderness over the nerve

3. Pain is resolved or decreased by local anesthetic block of the nerve.

4. Ruling out other causes of headache.

The treatment steps are;

1) Conservative treatment;

a) posture correction

b) medications; tricyclic antidepressants, serotonin reuptake inhibitors, carbamazepine, oxycarbamazepine, gabapentin, pregabalin, and opioids.

c) Infliximab has shown some benefit,

d) Physical therapy.

2) Local anesthetic agent injection with steroid

3) Botulinum toxin infiltration

4) Pulsed radiofrequency (PRF) treatment.

5) Occipital nerve stimulation

6) Neurolysis.

7) Other surgeries; C2 gangliotomy, C2 ganglionectomy, C2 to C3 rhizotomy, C2 to C3 root decompression, and distal neurectomy.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. I will take your information to my doctor - i have an appointment in the morning - will you please relay to this website I do not wish to enlist in a "free trial". I was led to believe that the $5.00 I paid for this information is refundable. I do not want to pay more.

Please contact the customer support which is round the clock telephone and email service.

We experts are not involved in the payment as it is seen by the site administration.

You are very welcome.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.