Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans
22950887

I have a frequent sharp pain at my right upper jaw bone.

Customer Question

I have a frequent sharp pain at my right upper jaw bone. This is often associated with the beginning of chewing food. My dentist has considered this problem and does not find a problem with my teeth. This pain has existed for about 5 years, at various intensities. Do you have a suggestion of what is most likely cause, and what tests might help determine cause?
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: No swelling observed. Last visit to dentist was November.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Have had cancer surgery, to remove growths originating as skin cancer, at left nostril & right ear lobe. Plastic surgery repair to nose, after mohs surgery. 77 years old, male, atrial fibrillation, right hip replaced.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now there are a couple of conditions which can cause this sort of problem. The first one which comes to mind is that you could have developed trigeminal neuralgia. This is a condition in which the trigeminal nerve may be damaged. This is the nerve which supplies most of the face and the jaw. Now one of the symptoms of trigeminal neuralgia can be a shooting or sharp pain which can occur on touching the jaw or on chewing food. This can also cause shooting pains or burning or tingling in the jaw or even in the rest of the face intermittently. The diagnosis is made clinically and then can be treated with the help of specialized medications including carbamezapine. Other medications can be tried if carbamezapine does not work.

Given that the dentist has cleared you of any other issue then it is less likely that this pain can be due to TMJ dysfunction in which the joint between the jaw and the skull is affected. This can also cause pain on chewing food. If your dentist has not considered this option then it should be considered atleast once now.

But i do feel that trigeminal neuralgia should be considered as a cause here.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.