Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I just turned 65 and I have been losing muscle strength over

Customer Question

I just turned 65 and I have been losing muscle strength over the past year. My Dr. took me off atorvastatin because she felt they were connected. She said the muscle strength would gradually return. It's been 4 months and I feel like it's getting worse. I have a lot of involuntary muscle movement and muscle cramping in my legs, arms and hands.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: No swelling. If I take naproxen sodium, it helps a bit. I bought a cervical pillwas one of my symptoms is the inability to hold my head erect. It seems to be much worse in the morning. I have no grip strength and have difficulty getting dressed -I can't grip the zippers to pull them shut.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have optic neuritis in my right eye. My heart is good - just had an exercise stress test done and everything was normal.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

you need to see a neurology doctor

and eat more protein in your diet

and be tested for nerve weakness with an EMG study

you may need testing to check for myasthenia gravis as well if you are loosing strength

you need a brain MRI scan as well.