Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I was in the ER on Saturday due to having a seizure,

Customer Question
I was in the...

I was in the ER on Saturday due to having a seizure, vomiting and passing out after for a little bit this is the second time in about a month. I have to wait for a referral from my docotor to get into a Neurologist to run more test. The hospital let me out before seeing one as well. CT scan showed nothing so I know that is good but am still beyond scared. Do you know the what I can do to get answers quicker and it resolved with answers

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I just saw my primary yesturday have an HMO so have to wait for a referral

Doctor's Assistant: This sounds important. The doctor will definitely help you with this. I'm going to connect you with a doctor who has 1985 happy customers and a 4.8 out of 5 Rating. Anything else we should know before I connect you?

Perfect ty for your help. Im not on any meds for the seizures just a couple other ones you need that info

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Neurology
3/21/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Captain, Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Captain
Dr. Captain, Physician

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. So far, 99% of the justanswer community of patients has found my answers helpful, and I have the honor of being the highest rated clinician on the site! I will do my best to win over your approval as well.

— For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

— I have read your post and observations. I'm so sorry for what sounds like a scary experience you have had! I'm also sorry you seem to be getting the run around with respect to follow up. I can understand why you would be so scared! I’m interested to hear a little more about what you've been experiencing, but first, I'm curious - For the purposes of the dialog here, would you prefer that I provide you with a direct, summary response to your post, or would you prefer a more back-and-forth approach, where there will be a series of more questions and more details clarified? There is no difference in charges for your preference. You can continue to ask questions and receive answers without additional charges.

— In case you were not aware, there is no charge for the time it takes for us to reach an answer that meets your satisfaction. If you’d like a quick answer, I’m more than happy to provide that. On the other hand, if you’d like a more detailed response, I generally try not to rush any answers, and I hope you will not feel rushed either.

- Either way, the goal is for your satisfaction, and I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would prefer a more detailed one with questions back and forth. To me you would get more of a better answer I think.

I agree completely.

The fact that your CT was reassuring suggests that there was no intracranial bleeding, or obvious masses. This is the best possible news!

Can you think of any other stressors, new medications, new foods or pills that might have kicked off the seizures?

In and of themselves, seizures are not life threatening. They are not even terribly worrisome. The vomiting and passing out is common with seizure activity, and although it can be horribly scary, from a neurobiological perspective, it is not alarming at all. Has this ever happened before in your family?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
At the time of the first one I didn't have any new medications. After this past weekends I had started Ziberzi for my colitis the other i have been taking for 4+ years is Effexor for abxiety issues after i had my hysterectomy

I see. viberzi is not known to cause seizures, and neither is effexor.

Any other possibilities?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a cousin with Epilepsy but other then that no one else in my family
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That is all the meds that I take.

I see. thank you for the additional information. Although a cousin is distantly related, it does suggest that there may be a small risk of genetic predisposition.

The "why" these things happen is a pretty complicated question, and won that the medical field has struggled to deal with ...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need to wait for my referral to get test done by Nuero dont I

I think that's the wise thing to do. I want you to be safe and well-cared for.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thank you for your help

Have I missed any part of your posted question? Was I able to address the question you provided to your satisfaction? Naturally, I’m aiming for your 5-star rating. Can I clarify any of my explanations, or address any other specific, related parts of our conversation thus far, that you feel may be missing for a 5 star rating?