Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

Of muscle relaxant agent like Baclofen etc. You may try oral

Customer Question

of muscle relaxant agent like Baclofen etc. You may try oral or rectal suppository form
what amount in mg i should request for relaxing my anus muscles?
thank you
ArickHi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all types of neurological & other medical conditions including the concerns of “Anismus and its treatment options” you have mentioned here and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.Anismus, which is also called by various other names including paradoxical muscle contraction of anus and pelvic muscles, or anal sphincter dysserynergia, or paradoxal puborectalis muscle dysfunction, or pelvic floor hypertonicity etc is a condition which causes paradoxical contraction of certain anal & pelvic floor muscles and causes difficulty with normal defecation, along with other associated symptoms.You have asked whether there are any medications that can help with this condition. Please see that botox injection is among the best medication treatment for this condition. And I see that you are already using this. Unfortunately there are not any other guaranteed medication treatments available to treat this condition, although you may try a course of muscle relaxant agent like Baclofen etc. You may try oral or rectal suppository forms, but if you try the rectal suppository form it may help better compared to the oral preparation. Baclofen is not regularly available in the suppository form but you can order it from a compounding pharmacy, for example the following web link will connect you with a compounding pharmacy who prepares suppository form of baclofen;http://www.mcguffpharmacy.com/CompoundedProducts/CompoundedSuppositories.aspxThe other treatment options for this condition include Physical therapy treatment for the pelvic and anal sphincter muscles. An expert therapist can help you with specific exercises that help with the realignment of the pelvic floor muscles through various manual techniques, soft tissue mobilization of the pelvic girdle and pelvic floor muscles, certain stretching exercises & visceral manipulation, neuromuscular re-education of the pelvic floor muscles, surface EMG biofeedback training, therapeutic exercises, and a home exercise program etc.Dietary adjustments, stool softeners are also part of the treatment for this condition.Biofeedback is another treatment option for this condition.Acupuncture is also tried by some patients and they have benefitted by this mode of treatmentHypnotherapy is one more treatment option to consider anismus.If none of the above mentioned conservative treatment options help then surgical treatments too may be necessary, but above treatment options help in majority of the patients so surgery is not always necessary.If you see any of the above treatment options you have not already tried you may consider trying it now, and if you are specifically looking for a medication treatment option then you may consider trying the Baclofen suppository mentioned above,Please let me know if you have any further questions, and please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.Best regards,Neuro DoctorDEARCustomerYOUR ANSWER IS VERY GOOD I CAN SEE THAT YOU UNDERSTAND MY PROBLEM.
I RATED YOU 5 STARS IF I CAN DO ANYTHING ELSE TO HELP THE RATING PLEASE DONT HESITATE TO WRITE TO ME .... THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP...Customer reply27 Sep 2016DEARCustomerYOUR ANSWER IS VERY GOOD I CAN SEE THAT YOU UNDERSTAND MY PROBLEM.
I RATED YOU 5 STARS IF I CAN DO ANYTHING ELSE TO HELP THE RATING PLEASE DONT HESITATE TO WRITE TO ME .... THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I have already answered your question at your previous question which you had posted bit earlier.

I will post if here too, on baclofen usually one can go up to about 60 mg per day, rarely one can go up to about 80 mg /day and more than this dose is not recommended. So the highest dose one can try is about 80 mg /day, this is the most you can try in one day.

Best Regards!