Neurodoc
Neurodoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD, Trained in Neurology with special reference to developmental & behavioral disorders
239748

My 3 year old just had neuro exam by a pediatric

My 3 year old just had a follow up neuro exam by a pediatric neurologist. He was born with torticollis and plagiocephaly which we treated with physical therapy. He is very healthy and well developed. Very verbal and intelligent. I took him to the neuro over a year and a half ago because he would only stick out his tongue mostly to one side, and too the middle - never the right side - the side he turned to with the torticollis. Now, his tongue can stick straight out and to the left, but not the right. The doctor said he has a completely normal neuro exam, and is healthy but has permanent damage to the 12th cranial nerve. He said the torticollis may have been caused by a perinatal stroke as is the 12th cranial nerve damage, but that the torticollis did not cause the nerve damage. I am confused. I thought the tort was caused by positioning in the womb. I am so fearful that there is some other pathology in play here - but the doctor says no way as there has been no other symptom in 3 years (NO symptoms to indicate a tumor). I wan to consult another specialist.
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: I do not have these records. Both neuro exams were completely normal.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: My son also has a hemorhoid from hard stools - I was concerned there might be an associalted weakness in vessels - doctor said no way. How long will and answer take, or will it be a chat?

Congenital (from birth) torticollis is due to a shortened neck muscle. The muscle may get injured before or during the baby's birth. The injured muscle may bleed and swell. And scar tissue may replace some of the muscle, making it shorter.

A stroke is a very uncommon reason for the same.

I do believe that multiple normal neurological examinations mean that she does not have any neurological problems, and that a stroke / tumor is NOT the cause of her symptoms.

I do not think that there is any reason to be worried ....

:)

Warm regards

Dr Gupta, MD, Pediatrician

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
is the tongue weakness residual from the torticollis? I am considering craniosacral therapy for my son. Also, he had a blood pressure reading of 80/52 today. Is this too low? His 6 year old brothers was 90/63.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am waiting for a response.

My apologies for a delay in reply,

Yes, the tongue problem is likely to be related to the torticollis.

The BP reading is appropriate for a 3 year old kid, especially if there are no other symptoms,

Warm regards

Dr Gupta, MD

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
you would be certain this is not tumor related? My neurologist told me the area is so tiny that he would have more than that tiny deficit as a symptom. He said it would not just be affecting that tiny area. What is your thought?

I fully agree with the neurologist statement.

A tumor will present with progressively increasing symptoms that involve more than 1 part of the body.

Warm regards