Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I have been diagnosed by MRI with NPH and had been seeking

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed by MRI with NPH and had been seeking solutions to fibromyalgia issues. I am on 60 m gabapentin and 120 of cymbalta . I want to get off the meds but neuro suggested i would go back to the pain i had before (felt like a full body migrane). recently i am experiencing a severe strangling pulsing in the base of my skull as well as my spine. would this have anything to do with my medications or the NPH?
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: episodic, no nausea
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: the fibro symptoms came up after my parents died - w/in a year of each other. now the holidays have just passes and I cannot help wondering if it is stress related
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you have normal pressure hydrocephalus and severe strangling pulsing at the base of your skull.

do you have excessive anxiety or stress or neck tension symptoms? this can cause stranglling pulsing at the base of your skull.

your medications would not be causing these symptoms for you.

your fibromyalgia could also be causing these symptoms as well.

if you have excessive stress or anxiety, you may benefit from medications to help decrease anxiety such as diazepam or clonazepam or hydroxyzine or propranolol or other medications.