Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I woke up this morning and later in the morning started

Customer Question

I woke up this morning and later in the morning started seeing a spinning prism and waves of colors out of my left eye. It lasted a half hour and I couldn't focus enough to drive. I also felt very tired but no headache or pain. Upon rushing to the eye doctor he diagnosed an ocular migraine of which I never had before. He said my pupils, retina and eyes were in top shape but mentioned the slight risk of a brain bleed or aneurysm would not show on his exam. The only other symptom I had was the previous day was left neck pain. To be diligent I have scheduled a regular physician checkup for next week but in the meantime realized I have been using Vitamin suppositories twice a week for female issues per my gynecologist the past two months. Each one contains 30 IU of vitamin E and in reading on any side effects noticed headaches and even strokes or brain bleeds are a slight risk at much higher doses. Could the ocular migraine have been the sign a small artery or blood vessel burst?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing and treating all neurological & health conditions and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

The amount of vitamin e you are on is very small and it should not be causing any side effects including damage to the arteries etc so it is unlikely to cause any bleeding or stroke etc in you

I strongly reassure you the vitamin e preparation you are taking is unlikely causing your new symptoms, and certainly not any arterial damage, bleeding, or stroke etc, so please not to be scared.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. And please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best Regards!

Neuro Doctor

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
But can the ocular migraine indicate a burst blood vessel? Should I watch for more symptoms? Will my primary be able to tell anything more upon her exam?

I am not suspecting in you any burst blood vessel otherwise too. Ocular migraine is not caused by burst blood vessels. You can get examined by your primary dr too but there is no reason to suspect any bleeding, stroke, or arterial damage etc in you, and I strongly reassure you in this regard.

Hi, do you have any additional questions? Do you want to discuss this further? Please let me know.

Best Regards!

Hi, once again I strongly reassure you the symptoms you have described above are not suspicious for any burst blood vessel (bleeding or stroke) etc. You may watch for symptoms like weakness of the arms or legs or facial droop, double vision, severe spinning sensation (vertigo), speech difficulties, gait disturbance etc but I am very positive none of these symptoms are going to occur because there is really no suspicion for any serious underlying conditions in you including damage to the blood vessels supplying the brain, so please not to be scared.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please do not forget to click a positive rating for my services to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too and I will be very glad to continue helping you as long as you need my services.

Best Regards!