Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology
41363181

I had caught early Lyme disease in august and am now going

Customer Question

i had caught early Lyme disease in august and am now going through what my dr is calling post treatment Lyme disease. I had classic bullseye and positive early Lyme test. I am now experiencing nerve/muscle twitches aches and pains anxiety and a dizzy brain fog feeling in my head. I recently had an MRI done 3 months after infection that showed 1. Single focus of T2 signal changes in the right frontal subcortical white matter without abnormal enhancement. This is nonspecific and can be seen in the setting of chronic migraine headache, gliosis from the prior trauma/inflammatory/infectious process. 2. Chronic right maxillary sinus disease. Is this a post treatment affect or cause for further infection? It has been 4 months since I was treated.
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

your symptoms are not typical after lyme disease.

you could be suffering from excessive anxiety symptoms

severe anxiety can cause benign fasciculation twitching of muscles.

the single focus T2 change in the brain is not related and most likely is due to a spot of microvascular ischemia from a small broken blood vessel in the brain.

you may benefit from taking anti-anxiety medications. have you taken these before?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are muscle aches and pains common with this? I've been taking Xanax the past week which has been helping with anxiety but not from twitching and muscle aches. I also get chills pins and needle feelings. I've dealt with anxiety for 12 years but in the last 3 years before getting Lyme I did not experience any anxiety.

muscle aches and pains can be from fibromyalgia or weather changes or lack of exercise.

it is your anxiety causing your benign fasciculation muscle twitching.

you may benefit from a sinus CT scan to see if you need allergy medications or sinus surgery for your chronic maxillary sinus disease.

you may need to improve your diet and exercise to help improve your health.