Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I have a slight twitching in my right thumb. It comes and

Customer Question

I have a slight twitching in my right thumb. It comes and goes. I have arthritis and and have surgery in this thumb and this hand was injured and I have little use of ring and pinky fingers. I also have seizure disorder (last seizure 2009). Recently been treated for blepharospasm.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: Health has been fine. I can press on points in my hand to make it stop. I have a high stress job. The twitching is very similar to the eye twitching.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: not sure if I should returne to my hand specialist or neuro. Or is this just anxiety?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing and treating all neurological & health conditions and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

If this is just isolated twitching of the thumb then this is unlikely from any serious underlying health condition, rather this is due to some benign issues like stress or anxiety disorder etc so please not to be scared.

I will try to gather some additional information which can further help me in my assessment;

Are you having any other symptoms like new onset muscle weakness?

Any new onset muscle atrophy (loss of muscle bulk)?

Are your seizures associated with any twitching like this?

Thanks!

Hi, have you received the questions I have posted above? I hope you are not encountering any technical glitches to access this site properly. If you require more time it is perfectly fine. Please take your time and reply to the above posted questions when your time permits & when you can, and I will get back to you at the earliest with my diagnosis & recommendations related to your concerns of new onset twitching of the right thumb.

Best Regards!

Hi, I had earlier asked few questions above so that I can gather additional information related to your health concerns about twitching of the thumb. It is possible you are encountering some technical glitches to access this site properly or you may be busy now and not in a position to reply, so what I will do is post an initial answer here based on the amount of information I have received through your initial question here, please go through it when your time permits & when you can, and please get back to me if you want to discuss this further.

Based on the information you have provided in your initial question this twitching involving the thumb is unlikely related to any serious underlying health conditions, rather as mentioned earlier above this is due to some benign issues like stress or anxiety disorder etc so please not to be scared.

And the observation that you can stop this twitching by pressing certain points on the thumb also indicates this must be some benign condition like anxiety or stress causing this twitching but certainly not any serious illnesses.

This is expected to resolve soon, if this persists then you may try to see your neurologist for the further evaluation and investigations but I once again strongly reassure you this twitching certainly does not appear to be related to any serious underlying health conditions rather it is related to stress or anxiety etc.

Please go through the above answer which is based on what information I had gathered from your original question. If you want to discuss this further or if you need any additional clarifications please get back to me, and also please try to provide me the additional information I had inquired earlier through the questions I had posted above and I am available here for further discussions until you are satisfied. And please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best Regards!