How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Uzair Your Own Question
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 8061
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery, 5 years experience in Emergency Medicine.
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr Uzair is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have pain and a little swelling behind my left ear

Customer Question

I have pain and a little swelling behind my left ear possibly on the bone
JA: Are you experiencing any dizziness? Do you have a fever?
Customer: No to hoth
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Uzair.
I am reviewing your post and will get back to your reply momentarily.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

Can you attach a photo of the affected area here?

Do you have any pain within ear or any discharge?

Sore throat, cold, tooth infection?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can't post a photo because we are in the car but have no other symptoms
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

Okay, then the most probable cause is folliculitis or a boil in formation, where the hair follicle or a sebaceous gland gets infected and inflamed. Another cause is a lymph node (post auricular node) inflammation but that does not happen without a precedent of ear infections, mastoiditis etc.

I would however, suggest that if the pain increases in intensity and the swelling becomes hot and tender, then you should see your doctor in the Urgent Care or the ER for an examination and to lance the lesion and drain the pus, i.e., if this is a boil or folliculitis.

For the pain, I would recommend that you get an anti inflammatory medication like Advil or Motrin 400 mg and take one thrice a day.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.


Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you have followup questions.