How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 1985
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father is 88 yrs old. he is having dizzie spells, head

Customer Question

my father is 88 yrs old. he is having dizzie spells, head fells large, loses vision, arms go numb, and trouble walking. he does have spinal stenosis between c6 and c7. what would you suggest? we have been to a nuerologist without getting any answers.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 months ago.

this is a difficult situation.

spinal stenosis surgery can be difficult in an 88 year old man

has he consulted with a neurosurgeon?

he also needs a brain MRI scan and neurological workup from a neurologist.

depending on his overall performance status and the condition of his heart and lungs, these may determine if he is able to have neck spinal stenosis surgery to correct the stenosis.

parkinsons can cause trouble walking as well. I assume he is on parkinsons medications.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
he has had mri's of head and chest. he has had an eeg. he has been cleared by cardiologist. he is on a parkinsons medication and it seems to be making things worse. he spent 5 days at emory hospital in atlanta, ga. and was cleared of anything.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 months ago.

Emory is a good hospital.

did he see a neurosurgeon or neurology doctor about his symptoms?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 months ago.

is he living at home now or in a nursing home?

what did neurology say?

when is his next appointment with neurology?

I take it he hasn't seen a neurosurgeon and no surgery is planned?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He is living at home with family. Nuerologist dont seem to know what it is. Guessing parkinsons. Should i take him to nerosurgeon? He is getting worse.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 months ago.

he should try medications for parkinsons and see if that helps his symptoms of gait

and you should get copies of his hospital records and see if he had a brain and neck spine MRI scan

you should take him back to the neurologist for follow up after his hospitalization.