How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask vakularen Your Own Question
vakularen, Other
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 4108
Experience:  practising medicine since last 35 years.
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
vakularen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a moderately severe central disc protrusion impacting

Customer Question

I have a moderately severe central disc protrusion impacting on the spinal cord impingement of the exiting nerve root. I am a very fit 73 YO muscular, don't drink or smoke and slim build with low cholesterol and a m a pensioner. How and where do I find a neurosurgeon who will operate and fix the problem and stop the pain and dizziness? Cheers
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: I am in Brisbane Queensland
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes have had the CT Scans, the doctor is relatively new to the area and is not sure where to direct me, so I am trying to find out. I control pain using mind dynamics, it works. Had two stents inserted after 12 year of complaining about pain in my chest and being treated for indigestion by 6 doctors and one a professor, they would not listen to my words that it was a blockage because I am slim, fit and healthy. The cardiologist said this had been sneaking up on me for 39 years, so I take the appropriate tablets.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: After getting over the effect of restricted blood flow, I am fit and healthy except when the pressure gets on my spin and nerve then its cruel, I have worked out postures to lie in on the floor and exercises to ease the pressure and reduce the pain. I am am fit and active.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No serious problems in the family, many lived into 90's and 100. Had a back operation 46 years ago after an accident where I was the innocent victim, I am strong with a good positive healthy attitude to life and family.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Am booked to see a cardiologist next month for discussion about tablets and a pending Prostrate TURP operation, very straight forward, minor blockage, PSA dropped from 7.1 to 6.4 the highest it has ever been, usually 4.3. Nothing serious found just enlargement due to age and being kicked twice by cows in that area when young on father's dairy farm. Time to have a grease and oil change and get all problems fixed, and enjoy retirement. If OK by cardiologist for the TURP I need to get the neck pain fixed also, then off and away at high speed.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 10 months ago.

Hi there, is your main concern about the neck pain due to the budging discs?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the pressure in the spinal cord and nerve causing pain, I need to get it fixed as it is seriously restricting my life.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What advice can you give for the surgery and who do I contact in Brisbane to get it done on bulk billing?
(Because of the previous accident 46 years and back operation I cannot get medical insurance)
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 10 months ago.

I would highly recommend you to find a pain management doctor or an anesthesiology who can go epidural nerve injections. The epidural nerve injections are steroids, anti-inflammatories, and pain medications which will help the pain and inflammation go down. It is much less invasive. If the injections work, they can do a nerve ablation which is essentially burning of the nerve ending so you do not have pain from that area.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
You missed the original point "I have a moderately severe central disc protrusion impacting on the spinal cord impingement of the exiting nerve root." The pressure is on the spinal cord and the nerve, I have to get the disc protrusion removed. (If you have never had the injections you recommend you do not understand how they turn you into a zombie, I tried them years ago never again.)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This nerve cannot be burnt off as it the main nerve down into my arm, I am advised
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have to take my wife to a medical appointment, I will return later.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 10 months ago.

You burn the nerves that are causing the pain, not the main nerves that are controlling movement of the arms. The steroids and anti-inflammatory will help decrease the inflammation and protruding disc.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The disc bulge has been there a long time, and as I have aged the joints are a bit more elastic where it has pressure on the spinal cord and nerve junction at C5/6, it is not inflammation it is a partial rupture believed to be from an injury when younger.
I had injections etc years ago on an injured herniated disc very painful and totally unsuccessful eventually requiring very successful surgery; I am inclined to think this is the only option but am unsure about the end result and incapacitate. (I am an extremely active community involved person)
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 10 months ago.

Have you met with a surgeon? How about the person who operated on your back?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The previous operation was 46 years ago, and I am trying to locate a neurosurgeon who bulk bills in Brisbane
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 10 months ago.

Ill sign off and let another doctor discuss with you.

Maybe someone else will have a different opinion.

Expert:  vakularen replied 10 months ago.

Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.A injury to the cord resulting in partial rupture which occurred when you were young would have resulted in permanent disability ,either sensory or motor,as damaged nueurons do not recover.Partial damage will cause sensory loss and some motor loss below the level of the injury.The pain you are suffering is probably due to underlying pressure on the nerve roots as they exit the spinal cord/in the canal secondary to the stenosis.This results in pressure on the nerve fibres,local oedema and inflammation.Surgery done by a expert neurosurgeon can remove the stenosis/cause of pressure on the nerve leading to relief from pain.A MRI Scan of the affected area will give you a much more detailed picture of the exact problem.Use of drugs like Pregabalin and Gabapentin used for neuropathic pain,steroids to reduce the inflammation and local oedema on the nerve roots and compressed area will help.It would be prudent to get a MRI Scan before you discuss the matter with a Neurosurgeon,he will be better placed to advise you with a more detailed picture of the problem.As one ages,the joints tend to harden/ossify and do not become more more elastic.