Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have been seen at the ER three times now for the WORST

Customer Question

Hi. I have been seen at the ER three times now for the WORST sudden onset migraines I have ever had, and do not have a history of migraines. I am once again at the ER this migraine has been going on for over 72 hrs now and I cannot bear the pain any longer. Nothing is helping. What do I need to do/say to my ER dr in order for them to admit me so I can be seen by a neurologist to get to the bottom of what is going on. Also I have a very stiff neck, and recently had a spinal tap where they told me I had too much fluid pressure in my spine. Please help me I am in so much pain and don't know how to get help.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Chip (M.D.) replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I'm Dr Chip

Did you also have an MRI of the brain?

Did the ER doctor think these were truly migraines?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The ER dr believed they were migraines and no I have only had a CT scan which came back normal

OK Then why the spinal tap and what was said about the increased pressure?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They were checking for menangitis which came back negative. They are not sure why there was extra fluid

OK--what did they give you for this supposed migraine?

And was the ct scan only of the brain or did it include your cervical spine?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They gave me a "migraine cocktail" for two different visits which helped temporarily. The ct scan was only of my head. I have recently had 3 epidurals in my c6/c7 spine for degeneratative discs. That could be why there was additional fluid on my spine. They also gave me fiorecet something I can't remember that starts with a p and Percocet

OK. I can't tell you how to make them admit you but you still can see a neurologist.

This doesn't sound like a migraine problem but I think it's a disk problem in your neck. I'd get either a ct or MRI of your cervical spine to check for that and proper physical therapy under the direction of a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabiltation MD specialist--that should help your symptoms.

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
These are migraines as I cannot bear to look into lift, extreme sensitivity to it. Noises are almost unbearable. I am having my husband type this for me as I am in too much pain with the pressure in my head. It is all behind my eye, left side with numbness and tingling going down my arm. I have a referral for neuro consult but I am in the military and the earliest I can be seen is one month. I need them to admit me as I cannot go another month without getting answers and help

I understand but migraines should at least respond to migraine medications.

There's also Imitrex and Zomig if those weren't tried.

And the arm numbness is more characteristic of a disk pressing on a nerve root and not a migraine