Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

If you were to fracture your thumb down in the lower part

Customer Question

if you were to fracture your thumb down in the lower part where the first joint meets do you think it would be possible to grip an object tight ,almost to the point of closing your hand
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: im asking because the hand has already been diagnosed as fractured and the person has been told it has to be re broken ,but the issue is that he is being told he was capable of holding objects in his hand while his had this broken thumb,and i wanted a drs opinion on this,because from what i seen with the swelling he could barely move the hand. i just wanted to know if with a broken thumb would you be able to close your hand like so?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no very healhty
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
wouldnt this be a question for a ortho no neuro?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
my main question is if you have a base fracture to the metacarpal i believe 1st (thumb is how they put it) would you be capable while it is freshly broken as in just broke ,be able to hold any object small or med sized?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 8 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

any other medical issues?