Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I have had two neck surgeries to fuse vertabrae due to

Customer Question

I have had two neck surgeries to fuse vertabrae due to stenosis. The bone spurs have been removed, some have caused spinal cord damage, and I am left with terrible nerve pain in my right hand and arm. I am on Lyrica, have tried Neurontin but nothing seems to help the terrible numbness, tingling, burning, pnching in my hand and arm. Is there nothing on the market to help such pain.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: Yes, some swelling in the wrist. It just seems to be there all the time. I still work (using a computer mostly keeping books) but using it or not using it doesn't seem to matter.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have just had the second surger 4 weeks ago so cannot take anythiung like Ibuprofen, etc and of course not Celebrex which I have been taking for some time
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

spinal cord damage is serious and has been a long term issue that doctors and scientist have been working on now for decades.

an implanted spinal stimulator could help decrease your pain.

hyperbaric oxygen chamber therapy could help push new blood flow into areas of injury and help with healing.

you should look into clinical trails at local universities to help patients who have had spinal cord injuries.