Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

I have recently been diagnosed ( or strongly suspected as

Customer Question

I have recently been diagnosed ( or strongly suspected as the neurologists at hospital referred to) with Hemiplegic migraine.. Previously I had right side hemiparesis from 2006 to 2009.. Then symptom free for 4 years, an 3 years ago they presented again, however last week during a six days constant paralysis attacks, several stroke like incidents, dipping in and out of consciousness, my head felt heavier than usual,foggier and my other eye very affected..my GP sent me for an MRI of brain,following recent ct scan that stated t2 hyperintensities... MRI states possible chronic small vessel angiopathy or migrainous ischaemia.. I feel really unwell..unsure.. I am not on any meds. Can you shed some light as to what I should do, and urgency if any?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 8 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry to hear that you have this condition. Hemiplegic Migraine usually runs in families, so one of your parents or grandparents most likely has/had the same problem. The good news is that it is treatable. There is usually an aura before you develop the headaches, nausea light sensitivity and in your case the muscle weakness that resembles a stroke.

You should have genetic testing to see if you have a defective gene that contributes to this disease. If you do, then it can be passed on to your children. The genes in question are:

CACNA1A; ATP1A2; SCN1A

If you don't have a defect in any of the above genes, then you probably have what is called "Sporadic Hemiplegic Migraines." This disorder is not familial and you don't have to worry about passing it to your children.

The treatment consists of anticonvulsants, calcium channel blockers and triptans which should be discussed with your doctor to determine the best treatment for you.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you