How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask khagihara Your Own Question
khagihara, Doctor
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 6590
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
khagihara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My nine year old son occasionally hears a voice repeat the

Customer Question

My nine year old son occasionally hears a voice repeat the same phrase regarding toys and charlie box that doesn't make sense to him. He will place his hands over his ears until it stops. It doesn't happen very often, the last time was 6 months ago....any thoughts? Auditory issue, neurological, other?
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: It happens randomly to him...typically when there is noise around...his health is excellent.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No..
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  khagihara replied 10 months ago.

It seems to be auditory hallucination. Any other symptoms? Are you aware of anything which might have triggered it? Any stress? Anxiety? Any medications? Any family medical history including mental disorders?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No other symptoms...he is usually just playing happily, albeit sometimes a noisy environment. It only lasts for about 30 seconds...same phrase, doesn't make sense - he's hearing externally (not in his head), and happens infrequently. He does have some anxiety around school at the moment.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
As for family... no mental health history on my husband's mother had GAD, and his paternal grandmother had some issue...unknown as she died while he was young.
Expert:  khagihara replied 10 months ago.

He seems to have anxiety with psychosis. You should take him to a child psychiatrist to have exam.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is this a permanent condition? :(