Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

For the last 5 days I have experienced numbness and buzzing

Customer Question
on my right leg, sometimes...
For the last 5 days I have experienced numbness and buzzing on my right leg, sometimes my hands and tongue
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: Also lightheadedness No swelling
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Gestational diabetes?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Neurology
10/25/2016
Neurologist: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

What is your age?

Any warmth/heat on right leg?

Any redness there?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm 36, no warmth or heat or redness. This is more internal as I feel weak, light headed with numbness and tingling. Blood pressure was 120/78 today

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

The symptoms you have described of having numbness and buzzing on your right leg along with sometimes hands and tongue can have all kinds of different causes, as it is a symptom of many different diseases.

It usually arises from damage or disease of nerves.Its most common causes are:nerve compression syndromes, pressure on the spinal nerves such as that due to a herniated disk,diabetes, stroke,transient ischemic attack.Also this can be due to :Underactive thyroid,abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body,lack of vitamin B12,certain medications.

Nerve root compression(pinched nerve) seems to be the most probable cause of your symptoms.

The underlying cause of numbness/buzzing and tingling should be identified and then treated by your doctor.

You need following tests:

-Electromyography(EMG)
-Nerve conduction studies,
-Certain blood tests,
-Electro physiological studies
-Nerve conduction velocity (NCV)

So I advice you to make an appointment with a neurologist for these tests to know the exact cause & hence its treatment will be done accordingly.

Thank you.

Hope this helped.

Is there is anything else that you would like to know? I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

This is not a serious or dangerous condition & nerve root compression(pinched nerve) is a common cause of this.

Take tab. Ibuprofen 400 mg from the counter. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

If still after this,the symptoms persists.then you need to make an appointment with your doctor for tests described above and prescription oral medications will then be required accordingly.Usually & most likely,the symptoms gets subside with these treatments.

If you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Just checking in to see how things are going.

How is your numbness & buzzing sensation in right leg now?

Do you need further assistance?Is there anything else that you would like to know?

And please do not forget to leave positive rating(3 or more star so I can get credit for helping you today we only get after positive feedback).

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am still having mild numbness in my foot and leg, and yesterday my tongue was numb. The day I went to the doctor I was also dizzy and had hot flashes. The doctor didn't know what it was and referred me.

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

As you are stil having mild numbness in foot and leg ,I advise you to make an appointment with your doctor & discuss for the tests like electromyography(EMG) & nerve conduction tests.It usually arises from damage or disease of nerves.

Medications like anticholinergics, antihistamines, and benzodiazepines may be prescribed by your doctor accordingly.

Till then you can take tab meclizine hydrochloride(brand name: Dramamine).This will help you greatly in treating dizziness symptoms.It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

I have seen that you have not rated my answer so far.Please leave positive rating above the chat box. However if you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Please do not forget to leave positive rating(3 or more stars).

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor