Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I developed shingles a year ago i have nerve damage in my

Customer Question

I developed shingles a year ago i have nerve damage in my right ary under neath my ary and in fatty tissuse back of my ary it is very painful
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I take high blood preasure meds and colesteral meds was under preasure when i developed shingles other than that i considered myself a healthy person i will e 74 in december
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I will be assisting you today.

One of the complications that can occur from shingles is chronic irritation of the nerve affected by the shingles, called post-herpetic neuralgia or neuropathy. This problem will typically resolve, and while it will commonly takes months to resolve, it can also take a couple years to resolve.

There are several medicines that can help to ease symptoms. The most commonly used are certain anticonvulsants, such as gabapentin or pregabalin, or certain antidepressants, such as duloxetine. There also is a cream that can be applied to the skin in the area of pain, called capsaicin. It is impractical if there is a large area of pain, so is more often used for more limited distribution of pain.

There also is some suggestive evidence that vitamin C supplementation can help some people and it certainly is usually well tolerated.

Have you been tried on any of these medicines?

I had asked whether you have been tried on any of these medicines and have not heard back..

If none of these medicines have been tried, then the usual first step would be one of the anticonvulsants, gabapentin or pregabalin. It also would be fine to try the vitamin C supplementation.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.