How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Stan Your Own Question
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 2129
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr Stan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have tremors and I need to know what sort of doctor to go

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I have tremors and I need to know what sort of doctor to go to - if I should see a nerosurgeon or a PT or what. I have some other issues as well and I don't know if they are related. I wish there was a doctor like house- so I could just tell them everything that is wrong and they could solve the puzzle.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: but mostly I have a tremor with cognitive problems
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I take xanax ok
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 1 year ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry to hear that you are having tremors. The best specialist for you to see is a Neurologist. This specialty deals with all nervous system problems and my feeling is that Neurologists are the smartest of all specialists, even better than Dr. House. Tremors are usually caused by a nerve/muscle condition.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did see a neurologist and it went no where. I am only 34 so I don't believe he took me seriously and said it was anxiety. It's not anxiety, I wake up with it many days. He gave me primidone which I had an immediate bad reaction to and I felt very manic all that day and never took it again.
My questions are this-
how often is essential tremor it's own disease and how often is it a symptom of something else? I have intention tremors.if it could be a symptom of something else, should I see a neurosurgeon for any reason? Is there another type of doctor I should see or certain tests I should do? I did an eeg, nothing. I did an mri but that was 6 years ago.
My symptoms are getting worse rapidly.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 1 year ago.

Intention tremors or essential tremors are an ailment by themselves. They are not caused by a more serious illness. A Neurosurgeon will be of no help. There is no surgical treatment for this problem. There is a medication you should try. It is called Propranolol (used to treat high blood pressure) and when used in small doses, 10 mg every 6-8 hours when needed has been very effective to help control the tremor. Discuss this with your LMD. You will need a prescription. It is worth a try. The side effects (relaxation and slight decrease in heart rate) are minimal at this dose.