Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I have a very perplexing issue going on and no one seems to

Customer Question
be able to help me...
I have a very perplexing issue going on and no one seems to be able to help me which is very frustrating. I am a 46 year old mother of 3, prone to anxiety and depression, I had my first bout at age 17. Then I believe I was able to go the next 25 years without a major issue but was internalizing anxiety and stress which presented as severe IBS. When my father was dying in 2012, my gastroenterologist took me off Bentyl and put me on Librax (without a warning it has a benzodiaxepide in it). After a year on it I suddenly stopped taking it and had overwhelming anxiety and depression that only got better with going back on the Librax and using Ativan prn and taking
Lexapro coupled with intensive outpatient therapy for almost 5 months. Over time, I stopped the Ativan, and remained on Lexapro another year. I weaned off the Lexapro and was down to only the Librax again at the original dose. I got by for another year and a half until some anxiety and ibs symptoms returned this past January. I got bloodwork done to make sure nothing more was going on. Then I went back to my gastro who suggested I double up on the dose of the Librax. It was apparent to my regular doctor and everyone who knew me that I was experiencing tolerance withdrawal while taking the Librax and would have serious dependence issues in the future if I continued to increase the dose. So instead, I got a 2nd opinion from another gastro and he began slowly weaning me off Librax altogether. By the time I was totally off the Librax, I had severe debilitating anxiety and depression return. Multiple trips to my local ER, nothing found, and both inpatient and outpatient hospitalizations just put me back on the Librax, with other benzo usage and antidepressants. Nothing was working this time, including the Librax. So I had just about given up hope and decided to take a drastic step to try to get off benzos altogether. I went to a 30 day detox, only they didn't wean me over 30 days with close medical supervision like I anticipated. It was a sudden withdrawal off of the Librax, Ativan prn, and Wellbutrin, with a six day phenobarbital taper and them BAM. I was down for the count, literally wishing I were dead. I couldn't stay and finish the treatment at the detox center (where I was the only RX dependent, never having abused or used street drugs). The psychiatrist at the detox sent me to another inpatient psychiatric facility where I was given Klonopin for a brief time (a benzo!) to get me onto Effexor XR. I had complete insomnia at this time with multiple neurological issues. The psychiatrist kept blaming severe anxiety with possible benzo withdrawal symptoms. He started me on Remeron for sleep at night. I went home after two weeks in full benzo withdrawal and presenting with major anxiety, depression and neurological symptoms. I was never given the option to see a neurologist or have tests run which I've begged for. Everyone chalked it up to benzo withdrawal and my anxiety. NOTHING has completely subsided. I thought the Effexor and Remeron were causing my continued symptoms so I weaned off Remeron first then weaned off Effexor onto Prozac 80 mg. I went through more horrible withdrawal, some flu like, I believe due to the Effexor XR. I subsequently became extremely depressed and anxiety ridden again, unable to function. I was sent to am impatient facility again, this time for a month, where the psychiatrist tried Neorontin, Lithium, and eventually Buspar in addition to my Prozac. I stopped the Neorontin and Lithium after weird side effects and bizzare states of mind that ocurred in my sleep where I felt I was dying and my heart beat was fading. I was very suicidal while inpatient for the first time in my life and becoming worse with depression and anxiety instead of getting better, so I finally told them what they wanted to hear (that I wasn't suicidal or homicidal) and came home to my husband and youngest daughter where I am wasting away in bed with no quality of life. I have a 23 year old daughter in veterinary school, and a 21 year old son in college for journalism, and my special needs 16 year old at home. I was their main caregiver always and never worked. My 23 year marriage is strained beyond belief and while we discovered everything wrong with our marriage, I have been unable to get better in order to correct it with my husband who has devoted himself to get help for his anger and temper. We love each other desperately but are at our wits ends. Please, can you or someone help get me the right help. I have not had a cat scan or mri, or seen a specialist. I continue to present with multiple issues that seem related to the central nervous system. I have not regained my sense of smell since coming home from detox, and my other senses are still somewhat heightened. I have actual physical pain in my neck and spine amd sometimes feel numb all over. I have tingling sensations all over, I have woken up drenched in sweat, and I have poor memory and cognitive abilities. Currently, I have morphed into not sleeping much at all and when I do it's like I'm not totally asleep. I wake suddenly and continually with violent jerkig motions. I always feel as if my brain is going to shut off (a few times or revved up while inpatient). PLEASE, CAN YOU HELP ME OR SEND ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION FOR HELP?!?! All the neurologists around here are backlogged and no one believes me. This is NOT all anxiety, trust me. I'm still currently on Prozac and Buspar with no relief. PLEASE HELP ME! I want to live and retain my health. I love my kids, family, friends, and dogs. I am desperate for answers! I have never used street drugs and never abused the Rx medications. I only took them as the doctor prescribed.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Neurology
10/20/2016
Neurologist: Dr. David, Board Certified MD replied 1 year ago
Dr. David, Board Certified MD

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

you could be having restless leg syndrome at night time

there are good medications for restless leg syndrome including Requip or Sinemet which could help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need to see a specialist. I don't believe I have restless leg syndrome and meds caused this.

you should see a neurologist specialist and get your legs examined and see if you have restless leg syndrome which can cause pain and restless legs at night time when you sleep.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No one will see me anytime soon. There is a shortage of neurologists in my area.

are you willing to see your doctor and try sinemet or requip and see if your symptoms get better?

your primary care doctor may be willing to prescribe these medications for you to see if it helps.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't want to take anymore meds without knowing for sure what is wrong. Thank you anyhow. I should have known better than to pay money for medical advice online.

why don't you think you have restless leg syndrome?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did you read my entire first entry? My mind and body have been through a lot this year. I have been in this state since January.

I know you have been through a lot this year

and you are taking a lot of medications

and your doctors keep saying it is due to your anxiety symptoms

but you don't think it is

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am very scared something will happen to me and it's prevented me from recovering and leading a heathy life like I did before. I have severe ibs, ulcerative proctitis, and so many symptoms now that consume me . I curse the day I ever took Librax with Librium in it. My anxiety may have returned full fledge eventually, but a benzo prescribed by my gastroenterologist wasn't the right treatment for my sensitive mind. It led to dependence and the state I'm in now. Doctors needs to be aware and stop prescribing benzos for things that aren't very short term. My youngest daughter has a rare form of epilepsy and benzos have been used often and short term only to save her life. I feel unable to live now. Trapped in a world of what ifs. This is no way to live.

it does sound like you have bad anxiety currently.

using a benzo would not lead to anxiety now

your anxiety symptoms are coming from your mind and anxiety disorder.

you don't seem to be able to move on or accept any of my answers

you continued to be worried and you are too fearful to take any benzo medications.

until you accept treatment for your anxiety symptoms, you will continue to worry about something or everything.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's because everyone including my PCP told me long term use of benzos was not good. Unfortunately, I let a specialist put me on Librax for my ibs to replace Bentyl right at the time my Dad was dying. I had never abused rx drugs or street drugs and had never been on a benzo. It ruined my life. I'm sorry to have bothered you. I honestly don't feel able to get better. Writing this was a last ditch attempt for me to cry out. I hAve been suffering so long now. My mind is ruined.

if you have long term anxiety disorder, then you can use long term benzos to treat it.

the librax did not ruin your life.

your anxiety disorder is out of control and not treated properly at this point

you will continue to worry and cry out for help until you get better treatment for your anxiety symptoms.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No one will prescribe me benzos since I did detox. My anxiety might be the worst case ever considering my life experiences. I have always had a great fear of death and dying which only got worse with age and the deaths of 3 people in my life - my mother, sister in law, and father. I feel at this point I'm untreatable even though everything I read says to get to the root cause of my anxiety. I have many, mainly the fear of death, and abuse I've suffered off and on throughout my marriage, almost losing my youngest daughter on many occasions when she was just a very young child , growing up with a sad mother who lost my sister at age 9 while carrying me, low self esteem, and more. I have tried medication, therapy, inpatient and outpatient care, nothing has worked. Other benzos were used until I went to detox. I am beyond help it seems.

well, it seems like you need to go on long term benzos like klonopin or valium to help your anxiety symptoms

along with other SSRI agents or 2nd gen antipsy meds.

do you live in a state with medical marijuana? this can help your anxiety symptoms.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried that as well. Unfortunately, I had two bad reactions to marijuana. One in high school which led to my first anxiety attack the first time and only time I smoked it in my youth (I never did any other street drugs af that(, and the other in Colorado this past summer from legal marijuana which sent me into a hallucinogenic state that made me feel like I'm dying. I'm an enigma. I've tried everything and that is why I've had suicidal thoughts. I want my pain and suffering to end and yet fear of death is what brought on a lot of this in the first place. Strange, I know. I once was a happy mother of 3, maybe not happy or right in my marriage, but happy to have my kids and live life. I am sorry to have asked a question I already know the answer to. Thank you for your time. You've been kind in listening.

you haven't tried everything

you haven't tried ECT.

you haven't tried second gen anti-psych medications.

you need to see another psychiatrist who can help you.

you can go on benzo medications safely to help decrease anxiety symptoms.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did try some anti psychotic medications to boost my antidepressant. ECT I have considered. I asked about it in my last inpatient.

ask about it again,

ask to see another psychiatrist

it is not bad to be on benzos for anxiety symptoms if you have anxiety disorder.

Dr. David, Board Certified MD