How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 1985
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband has had common MS symptoms for two months, and

Customer Question

My husband has had common MS symptoms for two months, and responded very well to five days of prednisone we talked an ER doctor into giving him. Once it was finished his symptoms returned and progressed. He finally got in to see the neurologist and again were able to get some prednisone and today he's feeling much better. His MRI of the brain showed "punctate FLAIR hyperintense focus in the left anterior centrum semiovale", but the impression said "Normal noncontrast brain MRI". We are confused about what condition he has when the doctor said his MRI isn't consistent with MS and his tick borne illness blood work came back negative too. What might we be dealing with? Something is definitely wrong. His arms are both weak, he has difficulty walking and even driving. He has pain in his arms and legs, blurred vision, headaches, difficulty finding words and occasionally trouble speaking. What can we do?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 months ago.

he needs a repeat MRI scan of the brain with gadolinium contrast to best look for MS plaques in the brain

he may also need a spinal tap to check for olidobands in the CSF fluid (which are not in the blood) to check for MS

you should ask his neurologist for these MS tests