Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have been having nerve sensations for the past month dont

Customer Question

hi I have been having nerve sensations for the past month dont understand why it wont go away have generalized anxiety disorder
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: no but I can tell you its on and off mainly comes at night
JA: Got it. Anything else you want the Neurologist to know before I setup your one-on-one?
Customer: I think that is it
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello !

Can you be more specific as to what you are experiencing ?

Do you have tingling or burning of feet or example ?

That would be a common presentation of peripheral neuropathy....

The paresthesias associated with peripheral neuropathy tend to feel more prominent as you get quiet and try to get to sleep ...sort of like hearing the dripping faucet at night ....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have burning or tingling. It's more just an odd nerve sensation that occcurs anywhere from random parts of the scalp to all over my body. It mainly happens in the evenings or can just be onset during the day. It started when I was falling asleep and I thought something was crawling on my face, almost like the sensation of walking into a cobweb. Does that make more sense?

Ok yes I see...

It is more a scattered pattern with these sensations

Have you been on an antidepressant and stopped by chance ?

We see reports at times with this as a withdrawal side effect ..

You may have your electrolytes checked as possible cause ...

I would call what you describe as a diffuse parenthesis but it does not fit pattern of a peripheral neuropathy ...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only thing I have been prescribed to xanax for anxiety, which I take on and off. In the past 4 weeks I have taken probably 1 - 3 a week. Could this be a vitamin B12 deficiency issue? For electrolytes, how do I fix that issue?

I would suggest consult with a neurologist

I would start with checking electrolytes ....

Yes it could relate to B12 deficiency ...that would be worthwhile to check....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See attached for my most recent health test results from July. Anything out of the ordinary there?

Fixing an electrolyte issue would depend on what was off ...

Low sodium of low potassium for example ...

These could relate to dietary factors or medicines such as diuretics for high blood pressure or hormonal imbalances ...

No those labs are all within range ...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so how much longer should I allow for this to pass before going to see a neurologist? Also, don't I need a doctors note to see one?
It depends on your health insurance at times and the specialist --- some take direct appointments from patients ( many do and probably MOST ) some prefer you to see your PCP first though. ..
I think it fine to get checked now for the symptom ...it sounds on mild side but that is preferred to it getting worse potentially .....
Magnesium level may be checked / vitamin B12 / thiamine level / thyroid function / screens for autoimmune problems / inflammatory markers ......
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it. Do only neurologists do these tests?
No many of the basic tests may be done by primary care doctor such as Internal medicine or Family Practice /// some specific testing might be considered down the road such as nerve conduction studies >> that would be done by a neurologist ( that would not be the start point now however )
I hope that this helps and makes sense
Let me know if you have further questions
Best regards!
Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I think I will see if our wanted within another week and if not I will have tests done. But in your opinion this does not sound like something indicative of a serious neurological condition?
No it does not sound serious in nature ...I think it fine for you to wait a week and see ...that should not be any problem ....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you so much for your assistance. Have a good one!
Thank you and you as well !
Best regards!
Anthony Bray MD