Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I am 80 years old, male with never a breathing or lung

Customer Question

I am 80 years old, male with never a breathing or lung dysfunction problem. I have however the past three months, been consistently walking down a steep incline and battling back the same steep incline up to strenghten both my legs who've undergone trauma during a seven hour operation under aneasthetic where three specialists installed a bypass artery in the Right leg and the calcified main artery in the Left leg were systematically cleaned. Furthermore in a groin operation a secondary pump station was installed to help the heart in pumping blood. (all this is layman's talk, but still reasonably true - I think)
Right now I am struggling to breathe, a symptom starting some three days ago out of the blue, and a symptom I never had before. It is now 03h00 Sunday morning in the Karoo of South Africa and I need some help getting to sleep, or some medicine to take, or alternatively getting into a car travelling 75km to get to a clinic and (hopeful)medical attention.
I thank you so kindly for listening to me.
Jans *
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

struggling to breath is a serious issue.

at your age, struggling to breath, you should go see a doctor at the clinic to check your lungs and heart.

you could be having a new heart weakness or blood clot in the lungs causing difficulty breathing.

these are serious can could be life threatening.

there are medications to help you sleep, but you need to see a doctor first to see why you are having a hard time breathing.

let me know if you have questions.