Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

Dr. Love Final question before bed. The pain started

Customer Question
Dr. Love Final question before bed...
Dr. Love
Final question before bed. The pain started predominantly in the arms. Yet, now the pain only manifests itself at night while I am sleeping. It is almost non existent in the arms during the day time. Today the apin was a level 2 or 3 at PT and at the psychologist office, but mostly it was non existent for the entire day. I feel it right now at a level 2 maybe but its only in the right arm by the tricep area. Which is the C7. My question is why is not painful in the day time. Its non exisistent in my legs in the day time. Plus I havent taken gabapentin in the day time in three days or so. I have only taken it at 600 mgs at night. Tonight however, I will take the lithium
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Neurology
9/23/2016
Neurologist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

The pain can follow many different patterns, and it is frequently unknown why pain occurs at certain times and not others. Sometimes it may be related to certain positions or activities, but in many situations, the reason for pain at certain times cannot be determined.

This is not unique to radiculopathies. Pain can be better or worse at various times for most chronic conditions that cause pain.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
IT wwas like my amrs didnt hurt during the day time if at all because I was busy not thinking about the pain.

It is true that distractions can make any symptom less noticeable, but this is usually apparent when that person has a quiet day, such on weekends or days off, and the symptom is as noticeable on those days as at night.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you saying a quiet day can make the symptoms more conspicuous? Also the PT said that the pain follows the nerve. She said the c3c4 while in the shouders can cause painin the arms as well. She said it occurs all the time with patients that they have pain through out entire arm.

If the reason that the pain is not bothering you during the day is distraction, then it would be noticeable on quiet days.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its generally not present on busy or quiet days. Its very mild if at all on any given day. Its not like it was before when it first started. It was horrible at first.

Then the original answer applies.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Initially the arm pain was constant during the day time. Now it is inetermittent, if at all. The night is a different story. Its like it moved to night time. We will see how it does this evening wit the gabapentin. The PT said in two weeks she would like to see if the pain starts to subside in legs and arms. I am still concerned about her trying tracting on my lumbar with the lateral disc inpingement. The traction wold narrow the space nd cause the lateral disc to impinge more. Do you agree. She will have to try something else there. But I do need the traction for l5-s1.

That is something that would need the assessment of your doctor.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oops with the Lithium

I knew you were changing medicines.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the medicine is kicking in. it is very very strong. he started me at 5 mgs and it is strong

It is good that it is kicking in.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi
This seems to have brought on tinglng in figers and toes. I never had this before. I feel sort of groggy lso. I started at 150. I dont like how I feel. The gabapentin seem to have had no side effect. This has a feeling of sluggishness
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Plus I a very very thristy

If this is bothersome, then you would need to talk with your doctor, but if the symptoms are mild, then they may ease as your body gets accustomed to the medicine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would the numbnessaand tingling be a syptom of Lithium or of the radiculopathies. I want to stay on it until I gain 10 pounds. At least a month.

If you developed a new symptom only after taking the lithium, it is suspicious for being due to the lithium.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am very very thirsty. I do not like this effect. How lng will i take to get lithium out of system

I answered this in the other thread.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor