Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

My son has just strained his Achilles, or calf muscle at

Customer Question
Hi , My son has just...
Hi ,
My son has just strained his Achilles , or calf muscle at work .
A workmate has dropped him off at home , as he could not drive his car .
He finds it extremely hard to walk .
He has put an ice pack around the lower part of his leg and ankles .
Cheers ,
Paul.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Neurology
9/17/2016
Neurologist: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

What is his age?

How many hours ago did this incident happened?

Is there swelling at ankle?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Thank you for coming back online.

The symptoms you have described about your son of having strained his Achilles , or calf muscle at work & now finds it extremely hard to walk is most likely due to achilles tendon rupture.The Achilles tendon is fibrous tissue that connects the heel to the muscles of the lower leg: the calf muscles.

Following will help him greatly:

-First he need PRICE formula: protect,rest, ice, compression (with a bandage) and elevation.

-Use an elastic bandage around the lower leg and ankle to keep down swelling.

-Continue to ice the leg to reduce pain and swelling.Ice the area on and off. Put ice in a plastic bag, wrap the bag in a towel.Do not apply ice directly to the skin. Wrap the ice pack in a towel.The cold reduces the blood flow to the area and reduces the inflammation & hence the pain.

-Rest your leg. Avoid putting weight on leg as best he can.
-Take tab. Ibuprofen 400 mg from the counter to get relief from inflammation & pain.It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help him greatly.

So my best advise for you is to take him to doctor to have the X-ray done for the confirmation of diagnosis & hence the treatment will be done accordingly.Till then above described treatments/measures will help him greatly.

Thank you.

Hope this helped.

Is there is anything else that you would like to know? I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Also following bandage will help him:

If you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor