Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I am experiencing pain in my right side f groin, leg and

Customer Question
Hello, I am experiencing pain...
Hello, I am experiencing pain in my right side f groin, leg and foot. It started yesterday afternoon, this morning I can barely walk. I had back pain for a month or so which somewhat had improved.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/13/2016
Neurologist: dansheibley, Doctor replied 1 year ago
dansheibley
dansheibley, Doctor

Hello. Does this extend along the side of the leg from the buttock at all? Otherwise is there redness and swelling of this leg? Is it tender to touch at all?

If there is redness and swelling and pain (or any combination of these) you need to be seen for an ultrasound, either today scheduled as an outpatient or if not possible as an outpatient today (scheduled by your primary care physician) then to be seen through the emergency department to determine if you have a deep venous thrombus. That is my primary concern.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no swelling or pain to the touch. It feel as as though the pain is down the back of my leg

Those symptoms would most stereotypically point to sciatic nerve pain radiating from the back. However deep venous thrombosis is also on the list of possibilities. You should see your primary care physician for a prescription for an x ray of the lumbar spine and then MRI of the lumbar spine to see if there is any disc or bony abnormality that is pressing on a nerve to cause your symptoms. They can also evaluate you for the far less likely possibility of DVT which is a medical emergency.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have insurance. Is there something that I can do to eliviate the pain?

Alleve may help relieve your pain. Also wearing a back brace and maintaining good posture can help. Avoid lifting anything heavy until you can be evaluated.

Did I answer your question to satisfaction?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have had sciatic nerve problems before.
Waist is DVT?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dang auto correct! Should be what is DVT?

Deep venous thrombus - clot in the deep veins of the legs. Sorry it took me a bit to get back to you.

Clot can break free and go through the heart and to the lungs. The pain you're describing is most typical of sciatic nerve pain. I mention DVT only because it can cause pain in the legs as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The leg & foot pain in most intense when put pressure on my heel.

I'd recommend seeing your primary care physician then just to see if they by physical exam want you to get an ultrasound. Though I do feel this is most likely sciatic nerve pain.

A positive rating is the only way I am credited for my expertise. Please don't rate bad or poor service. If your aren't 100% satisfied, click reply instead. :)

dansheibley
dansheibley
dansheibley, Doctor