How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 1985
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have suffered from Major Depressive Disorder since I was

Customer Question

I have suffered from Major Depressive Disorder since I was in my teens, however, I was still able to go to college & earn my Bachelors Degree - and then to successfully hold down a full time job for about 25 years. Then, I had a series of very unhappy "events" happen to me and my depression got so bad that I tried to commit suicide (1 time only). I was having more problems handling my depression & I would fall asleep at work, sometimes while I was driving (I fortunately did not hurt anyone but myself). It got to where I had to resign from my job because I could no longer cope. It seemed that I wanted to sleep all of the time - even after a 12 hour night of sleep. I'd wake up, eat breakfast and fall asleep again. I became terrified at what was happening to me. My psychiatrist has got me on 70mg of Vyvanse & 60mg. of Adderral daily. This dosage allows me to live a somewhat normal life; but not on an everyday basis. I am trying to get Disability because I know that I cannot be a good employee anymore, which saddens me to no end. I was rejected for Disability, however, it was my first try. How do I explain to the Disability "Judges" that I cannot work full-time any longer. I am 58 years old and I cry all the time because I have no money. I'm terrified. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

it is not up to you to explain to the judge

you can give your disability paperwork to your doctor or psychiatrist to fill out saying you can't work because of your severe depression which is not under control at this point.