Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I have fairly severe leg swelling at and below the knees. I

Customer Question

I have fairly severe leg swelling at and below the knees. I had back surgery approx 60 days ago and it started slowly shortly afterward and primarily in my right leg. Now it is much worse and both legs are swollen and painfull yo the touch. I had been eating Ibuprofin like M & M's prior and after my surgery up untill about 3 or 4 days ago
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 months ago.

This is Dr. David

I am sorry you are having such bad leg swelling.

many issues can cause bad leg swelling.

poor circulation, heart weakness and congestive heart failure, liver failure and low blood albumin levels, too much salt intake, immobility and lack of muscle mass

muscle contractions help push out lymphatic fluid out of the legs to decrease swelling.

taking lots of ibuprofen can cause gastritis, stomach ulcers and can tax your kidneys and even can cause kidney failure as well

you really need to see a doctor and get an ultrasound of your legs to check for blood clots

and you need blood test to check your creatinine and BUN levels which could be elevated if your kidneys have been injured by the ibuprofen. injury to your kidneys can cause swelling in your legs as well.

I'm not sure if you can wait until your doctors appointment on Wednesday.

if you can't wait until then, you may have to go to the ER to see a doctor sooner to get some of these tests done.