How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Muneeb Ali Your Own Question
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 6740
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Muneeb Ali is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On my right foot, I have a heel spur but on the back of my

Customer Question

On my right foot, I have a heel spur but on the back of my foot I have a huge knot about the size of a golf ball and it is very painful when I walk. Is there anything that I can purchase to at least help alleviate the pain?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 11 months ago.


Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. My name is***** I am reviewing your question and will get back to you with an answer ASAP!!

Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 11 months ago.

Well from what you are describing there can be a couple of conditions which can cause this sort of pain. The first one which comes to mind is plantar fasiciitis which can cause the pain as well as the knot in the back of the heel. Now another possibility can be local tendonitis in which one of the tendons in the foot are inflammed leading to pain in the area, tenderness as well as pain which worsens on particular movement. If the pain is in the heel above the sole then achilles tendonitis can be a cause for this.

Now what you can do at home for this sort of pain is the following,

1) Use OTC motrin or aleve which can bring down the inflammation

2) Apply topical OTC voltaren gel which again will help with the situation

3) You can use orthotics which are available readily at your local pharmacy however these would help best once a diagnosis is made, as different orthotics are used for plantar fasiciitis and different ones for tendonitis

4) Physical therapy helps a lot in easing pain from fasicitis, you can contact your physical therapist for this

5) Night foot splints can also be very useful

But if you have tried all of these and they dont work, then you need a steroid injection directly into the inflammed area. This can be done by visiting your doctor. In most cases a MRI would also be done and after that, it would be easier to inject the steroids. But in the meantime try the OTC therapies which i have mentioned above, but you DO need to see your doctor. One thing which he can try is extracorporeal shockwave therapy which helps in some refractory cases where other therapies dont work.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,