Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I have had severe head congestion for about 4 weeks that has

Customer Question
Hi I have had severe...
Hi I have had severe head congestion for about 4 weeks that has been accompanied by headaches. Recently the lower left part of my skull has been throbing, very sore to the touch, and causing bad pain. It amidst geeks as though it's swollen. What could it be?
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: No nausea...it has seemed swollen for a few weeks, but isn't always painful
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: My lymph nodes in my neck were swollen for some time along with the glands. I was put on augmenting for 7 days but the congestion is still there. Lymph nodes not as swollen anymore
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Neurology
8/29/2016
Neurologist: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

It sounds that you may have a sinus infection --- sense of head congestion would fit ---headaches may fit --- I'm not clear on what area is sore to touch?? Cheek areas feel swollen?? Reactive lymph nodes would be likely consistent ..

Folow up with your doctor or ENT I recommend at this point ..more complete evaluation would be next logical step ..

I hope that this is helpful for you

Let me know If you have further details / information / questions

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's the lower left base of my skull that is very painful to the touch and feels round and possibly swollen. I can't rest my head on a pillow. Why wouldn't the augmenting have cleared out the infection?

This swelling is behind the ear ? That may be mastoiditis ...if that it is a very serious infection. Augmentin would usually be helpful BUT there are treatment failures or resistant bacteria as possible . I think that you need to get this checked right away without delay ! Go to ER !

Let me know what is found -- I would appreciate to hear back from you on this .. Your history so far worries me as possible case of mastoiditis and this may need treatment with IV antibiotics.

I hope that this is helpful for you

Let me know If I may be of further help

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

PS if you can provide a picture of affected area that also would be helpful. Mastoiditis would hurt behing ear at base of skull and the ear may protrude forward

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's a few inches from my left ear at the base of my skull

Hello again,

Ok that sounds perhaps a bit far behind the ear ...direct exam needed in your case to help diagnosis...

Does it hurt to look up? Swelling in this area? Is it red there ??

Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor