Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak, Doctor
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center
16855155

I hurt my neck, I hurt it during the day two days ago, a

Customer Question

I hurt my neck, I hurt it during the day two days ago, a sharp whip when my cord got caught and swung me quickly around. It was just kinda sore all day, not bad. Then woke will head off pillow and bent down, husband said I had slept weird and neck was super painful behind right ear down, and barely could turn it and it was super painful, it got better yesterday and still today, but still hurts. I have severe osteoporosis and started worrying about a fracture in my neck, but then I though it would not improve over a few days, it till hurts though, like 50% better.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 11 months ago.

Greetings

Despite of the 50% improvement, you do need to be evaluated TODAY at an ER or Urgent Care. These kind of injuries/traumas can be associated with fractures and/or disk prolapse which can be serious. Partial improvement is not an indicator of the benign nature of the injury. Physical exam by a physician and Xray (possibly CT-scan, depending on the results of the first two) are necessery

If this asnwers your question, please complete the rating above. It's how we get credit for the service. Best wishes

Let me know if you have any more questions

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I went straight to urgent care baised on what you said. They said not likely AT ALL to be broke, if it got better even a little each day. Said a strain and if not better next week an X-ray.

That was a wasted trip and money.

I fully disagree with their approach. An Xray is mandatory in a situation like this, it's cheap and simple. There is not way they can blame your symptoms on muscle strain without FIRST excluding an underlaying trauma and the least they can do, is an Xray. If your symptoms persists, you have to insist on an Xray, best FU with your family doctor

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

would a neck fracture get better usually, would I be able to feel stiff and painful, but have full range of motion with my neck?

• It all depends on the fracture, it's location, displacement and other factors. Such injuries are frequently associated with muscle strain which can improve, so the symptoms improve but the fracture will not improve in such a short period of times. I am sorry, I still disagree, the physician should have requested an Xray. We always hope it is merely muscle strain/spasm, but more serious issues needs to be excluded first, and the clinical exam is not adequate
  • Think of the paramedics placing a neck collar on almost on every body involved in a motor vehicle accident when they complain of slightest neck pain. This will only be removed after an XRay is done and serious issues are excluded
  • Again, I am not saying you have a serious issue, but as a physician, I would not be satisfied until an Xray done and serious fractures are excluded
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I had an X-ray, waiting for results, if they see no fracture could I have a small fracture and it heal?

If they do not see a fracture, I would not worry at all. Unless your neck pain symptoms recur or worsen, but that chance is very low given the history and the normal xray. Best wishes

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

so it says many fractures don't show on X-ray, but is that because they are mild?

Yes. The one you are concerned about, can not be missed on xRay. If symptoms worsen, then MRI of the spine would be the test to consider, but I do not think you will need that

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok well I have not got the results yet, but I hope my neck gets better soon.

I hope so too. Best of luck