Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I had a bang to back of head 2 weeks ago, I have since

Customer Question
suffered from Left side pins and...
I had a bang to back of head 2 weeks ago, I have since suffered from
Left side pins and needles
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that makes your head feel worse or better?
Customer: It's not so much my head although the this is still very tender I am scare I may have a bleed
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Neurology
8/17/2016
Neurologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Well from what you are describing you do seem to be suffering from a minor head injury. Parasthesias (pins and needles) on one half of the body can be a sign of damage to the brain, considering that you have recent head trauma it is POSSIBLE but less likely that you have a bleed inside the brain, the reason being that if you did you would also have other symptoms like headaches, vomiting, loss of consciousness, weakness in the limbs, blurring of vision, dizziness among several others. Since you dont that is a good sign, secondly it is possible for you to experience these effects even with a severe concussion which is likely what you have suffered.

That being said, parasthesias on one side of the body, especially after head trauma MUST be always evaluated by getting a CT scan done. While it is less likely but a small subdural bleed should be excluded at all costs. It is possible for chronic subdural bleeds to accumulate over time and cause problems like these. I would strongly suggest that you DO seek medical attention ASAP by visiting urgent care or the ER and get a CT scan done, even if it is likely to be normal.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you to know anything else? I'm asking because im heading offline so if i can help you any further please let me know. If i am offline when you respond please allow a few hours for a response as i will be in the ICU. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have been to hospital as I had a sore finger, while there I told them about fall they did not seem to be concern I did not get a cat scan of head, I did however have ct scan of Spine and found that I had c7 fracture in neck, and have follow up appointment in 2 mons, I am going away in 2 days, and am frightened of brain bleed is this still possible if I have not had ct scan but doctors not concerned

Sorry for the late reply but i was offline.

As i said earlier, a bleed is possible but less likely in your case. However a CT scan should be done to rule it out, secondly the tingling if confined to the left upper limb can also be due to the cervical fracture, it could be causing compression of the nerve roots in the area.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist