Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

I have been experiencing Scintillating Scotomas for years.

Customer Question

I have been experiencing Scintillating Scotomas for years. They last about 25 minutes, and I do not get headaches afterwards. Lately they seem to be happening more frequently.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 11 months ago.

Hi, Dr. Stan here to help. Have you had cataract surgery? Since no headaches that eliminates migraine. Scotomata are fairly common after this surgery. The most common causes of scotoma: Glaucoma, blockage of the retinal veins in the eye, stroke (known or unknown), severe vitamin deficiency. If you haven't had your eyes checked recently, now is a good time to do so. I am here to answer any additional questions you may have. Please leave a positive rating of 3-5 stars. This is how I am credited for my response. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had an eye examination about 2 years ago. Doctor said I was developing cataracts. could that be the cause? Do some people have these experiences without eye problems. Sometimes I can go for a few months or more without experiencing a scotoma, but lately they seem to be happening every few weeks
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 11 months ago.

The cataracts aren't the cause. You could have had a stroke and not known about it, which is quite common. We find out about it when we have a MRI or CT scan of the head for another reason. Since you have a history of cataract formation 2 years ago, it is time to go back to the eye doctor for reevaluation.