Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans
22950887

I have been treated for a ruptured basilar artery aneurysm.

Customer Question

Hi, I have been treated for a ruptured basilar artery aneurysm. It is coiled and I have a vp shunt in place. I also have aneurysms of my ICA and vertebral artery that my neuro is watching. Just recently I've developed a pulsation and pain in my left ear only when standing. If I sit or lie down I don't feel it. Could this be aneurysm related? Or just an ear infection that I need to treat?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now pulsation and pain in the ear can be an indication of tinnitus. tinnitus is a condition in which you can experience abnomal sounds in the ear which can include heartbeat, pulsations, ringing, buzzing etc. This is usually an indication of a problem in the inner ear. This can be due to an infection of the inner ear which is known as labynthitis. The treatment for this iis with the use of antibiotics etc. Another cause can be menieres disease in which there is excess fluid build up in the inner ear which can cause the above symptoms as well as balance issues. I think this problem is likely to be due to an issue with the inner ear which should be evaluated as soon as possible by your doctor.

That being said, pulsations in the ear as well as pain if accompanied by hearing loss and balance issues can also be an indication of an aneurysm in the cerbellopontine angle where the auditory nerve arises from, this can cause these symptoms as well and considering that you already have several aneurysms, it should be ruled out nonetheless. A MRA would be able to pick up on this if this is a new development. At the same time, these symptoms can be an indication of a problem with the VP shunt, increased pressure in the brain can also cause these symptoms. That is why i would recommend that you do have this evaluated as soon as possible.

I would still consider this as an inner ear infection but the other possibilities should be ruled out nonetheless.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.